Week 9

Terry S
Terry S

9:05 PM - May 30, 2011 #1

Dampish start with occasional showers, but a light breeze only. High turnout with 26 volunteers. A brief shower after lunch and then bliss. Blue sky and nice fluffy clouds. Some of us in T- shirts by 2pm. No stoppages at all today.
All work done was to the west of Temple Street. A few nice, small finds to start the week off in style.
End of day photos to follow.

SacoHarry

12:45 AM - May 31, 2011 #2

Good to see you again Terry! Will try to get your great photos & the Canon link up tomorrow. For now, here's at least one, your shot of Temple Avenue from the south looking north, 1st day of Wk 9.

What a difference 3 weeks can make: my shot from the same location, 1st day of Wk 6.

Both of these shots are taken from this location:
Last edited by SacoHarry on 12:53 AM - May 31, 2011, edited 1 time in total.

snowglobe

7:07 AM - May 31, 2011 #3

Cheers for the photo, great to see the progress again. Does anyone know what happened to the monster rock in the road ditch. Did Kev move it on his own?

9:42 AM - May 31, 2011 #4

snowglobe wrote: Did Kev move it on his own?
:D probably. It was starting to look like his nemesis.

SacoHarry

6:46 PM - May 31, 2011 #5

Pete, looks like the monster rock is still there (as of yesterday anyway). Here's another from Terry's collection:

I'm just glad that Sunny's & my lovely flagged floor (foreground) are still there too!

Will try to post the rest of the album this evening. Some really great shots of the individual barrack rooms in the block just west of Temple Ave.

SacoHarry

12:00 PM - Jun 01, 2011 #6

Alright, more of TerryS's uploads coming.

But first, a big change to the plan. Up to now, the row of barracks/apartments immediately west of Temple Ave showed their 4th C layout. (Or the best I could put together of it.) Now, much of that overburden is gone, and the orderly, high-quality 3rd Century barrack block is being revealed. On Monday Terry took a fabulous series of each room in the barrack. With that, I've been able to redraw the plan showing the barrack in place:

The letters A-I label individual rooms in the barrack. "A" is the centurion's suite at the northern end. "B" through "I" are the rooms for the regular soldiers, several soldiers living in each room.

Following are Terry's series of photos showing each room.

SacoHarry

12:06 PM - Jun 01, 2011 #7

(Terry's notes from Monday under each photo)

Centurion's quarters, "A"

Clearing up time Day 1. First in a sequence of barrack rooms going from north to south of site. Centurion's room.

Room "B"

No one working in this room today.

Room "C"

Work now in progress in front of room at side of road.

Room "D"

No one in this room today. Diggers working in front of room.

Room "E"

No one in this room today. Diggers working in front of room.

SacoHarry

12:10 PM - Jun 01, 2011 #8

Room "F"

No one in here today.

Room "G"

No one digging in this room today.

Room "H"

Anthea busy packing up.

Room "I"

Consolidation progress of fort can be seen in rooms immediately behind this one in the foreground.

As you can see, in general the best preservation is in the middle (about rooms D-H). Some of the barracks still have several of their wall courses intact. And if you notice, the northern (right-hand) edge of each barrack still has its doorway intact & visible. Very cool!

Many thanks again to TerryS for the great photos & descriptions.
Last edited by SacoHarry on 12:12 PM - Jun 01, 2011, edited 1 time in total.

snowglobe

3:34 PM - Jun 01, 2011 #9

Thanks to Harry for the info, keep those photos coming Terry great to see the buildings slowly being uncovered. The doorways are fantastic.

Terry S
Terry S

8:59 PM - Jun 01, 2011 #10

Wednesday was a bit gloomy - wall to wall grey cloud and most of us swaddled in warm clothing. Nippy breeze! No rain though. Tomorrow and Friday allegedly warm and sunny, so lots of pix will be taken. Promise! A TV team from BBC4 is visiting tomorrow, filming commencing at 0630 (not too many of us around at that hour, Andrew excepted). Then, later shots of the excavators at work. Check your Radio Times for transmission details!
Our particular detail (me, Pauline, Hanno (from Frankfurt), Tim and Georgine from Chicago) are shifting copious amounts of soil and stones from our barrack room. Very confused picture, but a floor appears to be emerging at last. Pottery mainly coming out, with a nice chunk of a mortaria found by H (from F).
Last edited by Terry S on 9:49 PM - Jun 05, 2011, edited 2 times in total.