SacoHarry

May 25th, 2012, 2:49 pm #11

One more set of pictures from sarcanon showing what a week of sunny weather can do!

Site 4a, looking south -- the huge wall under the later aqueduct keeps going down; 5 courses visible in this pic

Site 4a, looking east -- the older wall also runs quite a way; what is that, at least 15-20 ft exposed?

Recently uncovered bit of southern edge of 4a/4b, looking east -- the diagonal-running roadway in Justin's tweets. (I will have to rethink my trench numbering scheme for sure.)

Site 7b/c, looking north -- the baulk between coming down and the trench opening wider

The southern extension of 4a/4b, looking north -- the diagonal road in foreground, the natural clay subsoil with scratch-marks behind, then the vicus aqueduct overall. Is it just me, or does that road look lower/earlier than the level of the aqueduct?

Site 4b from the south looking north along the two side-by-side Antonine ditches; N/S vicus roadway visible on right.

Site 4b/a from east looking west. How do those -massive- "causeway" stones under the aqueduct relate with the massive wall being uncovered to the right (north) of the aqueduct?

Neat stuff this year.

Badger
Badger

May 25th, 2012, 5:18 pm #12

"Neat stuff this year."

As every year!

But the vicus does tend to bring out the more enigmatic finds and features.

T.Wolter

May 25th, 2012, 5:33 pm #13

All I have to add to that is..."oooooh"

:)

snowglobe

May 26th, 2012, 9:51 pm #14

All posted before but a run of Photos showing the causeway as it progressed from week 2,5 and 8. The wall running under it looks stunning.
IMG_7108.jpg
Copy_of_Vindolanda_dig_2012_036.jpg
IMG_6966.jpg

SacoHarry

May 27th, 2012, 4:25 pm #15

A final roundup from Scott/sarcanon. What a week it must have been!

'A blue glass melon bead, fully intact, excavated by Lisa V (Corieltauvia)'

'Wall in northern part of 4a, facing south'

'Same, a little further to east, where continuation of wall is being uncovered by Graham. Justin and Andy and pretty certain this wall continues underneath the path into the area on the east side.' (That's quite a wall! What on earth was it for?)

'Same feature, facing west'

'4b, facing north'

'4c [from southern extension] facing north-northwest, showing second drain [entering into the n/s road drain]'

'Southern side of 4a, with newly exposed road heading northwest. To (and from) where are yet to be determined.'

'The Canadians (Kathryn, Kieran, Drew, and Erin) worshiping at the 'something' they uncovered in the intersection of 7b and 7c'

Keep this pace up & they'll be opening trenches in the parking lot by August! Thanks so much for all the pictures & updates. Looks like it was an amazing week on site.
Last edited by SacoHarry on May 27th, 2012, 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NOT Mick
NOT Mick

May 27th, 2012, 9:33 pm #16

Amazing pictures and stories. Thanks to all. Great to hear about some fellow Canucks digging this year. Hope to make a return pilgrimage some year.

Sue Munro

June 1st, 2012, 3:57 pm #17

And to think the highlight of my digging this year was an empty creme egg wrapper!
Looking good - can't wait to visit the trenches at Friends night.

June 2nd, 2012, 10:37 am #18

I really thought I'd cleaned something interesting on 24th May.

See photograph...

I thought it was part of a glass rod used for curling Roman ladies' hair but no, its the glass stem off a modern bottle! :'(
Not_a_find.jpg