Sue Munro

May 19th, 2012, 2:34 pm #21

Badger wrote:
This is the pesky bird that shows up every day at lunch time to bother the diggers for crumbs. CHIRP! CHIRP!

As well as all the great photos of the excavations I think we should keep a log of how the cheeky chaffinch gets rounder and rounder as the weeks go by with all those tough excavators who can't resist the tempation of spoiling him!

Badger
Badger

May 19th, 2012, 6:24 pm #22

Claire
Click on the inbox at the upper right corner of the wedig page for instructions on how to get the full resolution version.
Enviously
:X (looks green with envy anyway)
T.Wolter

Brinno
Brinno

May 19th, 2012, 7:51 pm #23

Badger wrote:Brinno/Pierre

Although we have permission to post pictures and discuss things like this I think a little bit of ambiguity is called for. Sure, nobody could sneak onto the site in the dark and find a writing tablet. Not in a million years. But pointing out one spot might just tempt the foolish. Let us just say it was more than a shovel length away from where you were digging!

Sometimes archeology is funny. Jeff did yeoman's service in a deep trench for most of the week. Just a lot of anaerobic dirt with scattered finds. Claire, in a spot that did not look immediatly promising, found amazing things.

Badger/T.Wolter
Tim, next time I'll use a good old e-mail to enquire.

Claire, congratulations.

Sue, see attachment for how that feathered scrounger looked in week 6.
IMGP7858.jpg

Sue Munro

May 20th, 2012, 5:56 pm #24

Cute! He's definitely rounder than in weeks one and two! :o

Terry S
Terry S

May 20th, 2012, 10:08 pm #25

As promised, our local paper "Sunday Sun" published an article today, headed "Digging into a family history", describing how Andrew's grandfather and father had dug the site earlier. In addition, there were pictures of Liz from Allenheads (in Northumberland) with her melon bead and Kathryn from Edmonton, Canada, with a nice smile. Andrew capped the page, looking very dramatic, pick over his left shoulder, standing astride the north/south drainage channel, looking east. (I know Harry likes details). There were three small pictures of various finds. All this and more for £1.10.

Andy
Andy

May 21st, 2012, 7:33 am #26

week 7 gang, those that remained. :-)

IMAG0020.jpg

maryb_10

May 21st, 2012, 2:29 pm #27

Wow! Love seeing all of the new discoveries - thanks for posting, everyone!

Here is a photo of our feathered friend from Week 3 for comparison...he looks downright dainty compared to his current girth. :)
chaffinch.jpg

May 21st, 2012, 2:31 pm #28

Re the Horse Skull... see photo, nicely cleaned last Friday!

Cleaned_horse_skull.jpg

May 21st, 2012, 2:38 pm #29

This photo is from 15 May - taken through the Hut window where I was washing the pottery finds (and bones).
15_May_2012._The_Baling_party.jpg