Badger
Badger

May 8th, 2012, 2:43 pm #11

A story in pictures.

Very, very well preserved wood. What I can't post is the delightful smell of anaerobes that still lingers on my hands. Time for a shower.

Spoil heap management is an issue. This morning we came on site and found the "Andrewnine Wall" across the top of the heap! An obvious direction on where to dump!

Some rather nice bricks popped up just before rain shortened our day.

Seems to have one half of a script message on it. Tantalizingly close to readable.

I rather like this one.

The indents near the top are either animal tracks or more likely a series of finger imprints from the brickmaker.

Tim Wolter
Last edited by Badger on May 8th, 2012, 2:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Badger
Badger

May 8th, 2012, 2:53 pm #12

An interesting day on my end of the site. Theories spring to life, live brief mayfly existences and perish. Organic material is starting to turn up in better shape, with anaerobic layers not far off. But water and logistics will challenge.....

Not as many small finds as yesterday, and probably the understanding of the site and its structures has not advanced much. Tomorrow perhaps.

T.Wolter

SacoHarry

May 8th, 2012, 8:49 pm #13

Phenomenal pics Tim! The fingerprints always get me, and that half-legible script must be maddening.

Another great batch of shots from snowglobe follow:

"Sunshine to start the day as work continues over the ditch, the extra cobbles at the south end of the street maybe the hardstanding to unload carts into the storehouse ? Rain stopped play early but Badgers trench throwing up interesting ditch cutting into the Severan one." (Standing at in central/north section of 4b, looking south)

"Not the grim reaper but Terry chasing the causeway under the cobbled road"

"Here we have Tim (badger) offering thoughts on a cross cut ditch in his trench, looks like he is offering two suggestions with his right hand" (nice symbolic gesture Tim!)

"One of badger in thoughtful mood"

"As badger posted his wood picture, this is an in situ shot, nice black an aerobic layer, the tile came out of the same area."

"Heavy rain filling trenches, hopefully better morning tomorrow? Looking east across the Severan ditch. Centre is a possible cut for a later ditch."
Last edited by SacoHarry on May 8th, 2012, 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Justin-T

May 9th, 2012, 3:40 am #14

Agreed on the photo quality. Superb.

Tim & snow, you seem to have a hit a really good week to be there; those anaerobic layers might be smelly, but there always seem to be some fascinating finds in it...
Last edited by Justin-T on May 9th, 2012, 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

SacoHarry

May 9th, 2012, 1:41 pm #15

I'm remiss! Another great set of "action shots" (or, by mid-day "inaction shots"?) by Terry & Pauline from Day 2, here: http://opa.cig2.canon-europe.com/s/m/B8N8mMACu7x
Last edited by SacoHarry on May 9th, 2012, 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Justin-T

May 9th, 2012, 1:46 pm #16

Ooh! Roomier tea hut, when did that happen? in 2010 there wasn't nearly that much room for people to sit inside (Terry & Pauline photo 3 in the set linked in post above).

Badger
Badger

May 9th, 2012, 5:59 pm #17

Antediluvian edition.

Deluge forecast for tomorrow. To get in the mood we find a cherubic looking Snowglobe bailing seepage water while singing bawdy songs about the Titanic sinking

Interesting layers popping up here and there. Here is my brother Fred and the far traveling Carolyn (comes from Japan, across Russia) starting some dark interesting stuff with posts coming through.

Remember a few days ago when I suggested that the prime feature of our trench was deep ditches that would preclude later building on top of them? Here is the view at the end of the day in the Nigel/Snowglobe excavation:

The comment from our Supervising Archeologist was approximately "Oh my goodness".

I may save a few shots for our likely rain day tomorrow, but here is a nifty perfume vial. We really should be finding these by the dozen in what must have been a smelly environment. Perhaps those amphorae held something other than oil and wine!

T.Wolter/Badger
Last edited by Badger on May 9th, 2012, 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snowglobe

May 10th, 2012, 6:29 am #18

The weather is fairly bad outside the window here at Once Brewed, in fact I'm using a waste bin as I have a water feature appearing through the roof so may have to bail out the room. Just as the trench was looking interesting.

Fiona D
Fiona D

May 10th, 2012, 7:28 pm #19

Grim rain today - but great photos of sunny yesterday Tim - any chance you could post photo of lead seal if it came out ok?
Cheers
Fiona

SacoHarry

May 10th, 2012, 7:43 pm #20

Rain, rain, go away! Another batch from snowglobe on yesterday evening's jaunt up Barcombe Hill, and the swimming pools that were once trenches.

The first 5 from Wednesday:

"Great walk with Mike tonight onto Barcombe hill, lots of interesting new theories to add to last years ramble. Rather cold and rainy."

"It's the closest I can get to an Aerial shot! If you look closely you can see my trench filling up."

"Looking over to the diggers hut, round feature now pumped out again."

"The North South road is a thing of beauty, hope it will be preserved in in some form?"

"Andy's test cut into the later ditch through the Severan large ditch provokes some discussion."

And the state of affairs today:

"No digging today very heavy rain and trenches filling up with rain"

"Looking up the Severan road/river!"