Week 4

Terry S
Terry S

10:14 PM - Apr 29, 2011 #1

End of week 4 and another dry and pleasant week (although today - Friday - was a bit cooler, with a few minor spots of rain). Nice long north - south drain did not appear in our block or the next one (to the north), likely to have been robbed out. Grrr! A potentially very interesting architectural feature has emerged at the south end of the excavations, but I'll let Andrew tell you all about it. A very good find by Chris had Andrew salivating. Barrack rooms are more prominent now and further round houses have been worked on at the south end. Pauline will post some general photos soon.
Thank you to Dave from Prestatyn, Joyce from New Jersey (who appreciated our British humour) and especially Pete, (Rochdale's finest), who made me laugh a lot. Finds were few and far between, but chuckles were not.
A few biscuits are left and I believe Kevin has a secret stash.

snowglobe

11:27 PM - Apr 29, 2011 #2

Thanks for your kind words hope to see you both again over my next two weeks on site. I will try to find Kev,s biscuit stash in the meantime. Will post a review of the Hedley centre soon.

PaulineM

8:04 PM - Apr 30, 2011 #3

Another good week especially on the midge front. Margaret, Chris, Matthew and I worked the whole week to clear the oven area of one of the barrack block rooms. We found a huge oven dominating the room. It was an interesting find which just seemed to get bigger and blacker as our fingernails got shorter and blacker. The whole room had been trashed to put it in with layer after layer of burning, stones large and small, clinker and stodgy clay (not to mention the appearance of yet more oven in other parts of the room). Margaret found a large stone in the shape of a loaf which we reckoned had been a fossilised left over from cooking activities. It was Friday and we'd all got slightly oven-happy by this stage!

Andy had promised us a drain but as we got down to the surface where it was expected we found stones and clay packing where it had been to form part of the oven. Next door's room, where Terry, Pete, Dave and Joyce were, had had their drain robbed so though the drain is still in the rooms to north and south we both lost ours.

Chris found a piece of Samian with a lead repair as well as an excellent example of a spade which is probably going to go into the museum. Matthew found a piece of reused column and Margaret discovered a lovely large piece of patterned Samian. I hope I've been able to attach a photo of Chris and Matthew taking samples from the oven. Terry's in the background in the room next to us. I took more pictures which will be on We Dig shortly.
IMG_1121.jpg
Last edited by PaulineM on 8:32 PM - Apr 30, 2011, edited 1 time in total.

SacoHarry

12:28 AM - May 03, 2011 #4

At long last, pictures from Terry & Pauline's Week 4 as promised.

The following is a great series going room by room along the 9-room barrack block that's been the center of attention during April. Because the later (SF II) barrack block sits mostly over the earlier one (SF I), the two can be seen sharing the same space in most rooms. It's fun watching the more muddled/damaged bits lying under the northern rooms slowly turn to well-preserved remains of roads, drains, and walls toward the south.

All of the following are standing just to the west of the barrack, looking east. They start at the north end, and travel south room by room. (Captions below from Terry & Pauline)

"Facing east after group photo. Dilys, Jim and Dave's work on the Via Decumana, top left."

"Antonine road. Large oven dominated room but destroyed strata - "trashed," said Andy. No sign of a drain. Pauline, Margaret, Chris and Matthew's area."

"Antonine road with north south drain removed except for a couple of stones to left. Evidence of oven and trashing. Terry, Pete, Dave and Joyce's area."

"Antonine road again, remains of north south drain mainly in centre. Drain of different construction to next photos in sequence."

"Antonine road and drain in much better condition here."

"Another room in much better condition than some further north."

"Dilys and Jim worked here for part of the week. Room much admired for its des res, groomed appearance compared to Pauline, Margaret, Chris and Matthew's trashed room."

"Less disturbance to Antonine road and drain as barrack block goes further south."

"Last room in north south sequence"

Lastly, as a teaser to what Badger is describing for Week 5, here is the next focus of the dig: just to the west of the barrack in the series above lies a cobbled N-S alley. To the west of it, two more 3rd-4th C barracks, with underlying material too. The picture below is about from the main east-west road within the fort, looking north.

As before, Terry & Pauline have made the original, hi-resolution photos available at their Canon Photo Gallery, link here.
Last edited by SacoHarry on 12:31 AM - May 03, 2011, edited 2 times in total.

bandtmet
bandtmet

8:38 PM - May 05, 2011 #5

Hello Terry and Pauline. I have been really enjoying your blog and the lovely photos. I'm so looking forward to joining the team on Mon 16th. It cant come soon enough ! from Barbara :)

Terry S
Terry S

9:25 PM - May 05, 2011 #6

Hi Barbara! We've enjoyed posting the pix. A lot of people cannot make it this year due to the unprecedented demand for places, so we'll do our best to keep things up to date as far as possible.
We will be posting more photos later on, so fingers crossed for more blue skies!
And an altar or two ...

snowglobe

7:28 AM - May 13, 2011 #7

Yes last day today, the rain is falling in large amounts onto the site so not too good for my last chance to trace the Antonine barrack wall I found yesterday afternoon. Hopefully I'll be back next year?