Week 21

Justin-T

12:23 PM - Aug 21, 2012 #1

Intriguing pieces of a fancy column in a ditch today in Justin's tweet. Can any of this week's diggers shed any light on them, or any of the other trenches?
Last edited by Justin-T on 1:42 PM - Aug 21, 2012, edited 1 time in total.

SacoHarry

12:29 PM - Aug 21, 2012 #2

Thanks for the new Wk 21 post -- I was remiss in getting that up!

Terry S
Terry S

7:26 PM - Aug 21, 2012 #3

Visited site today and Pauline took some photos. These are on the way to Harry. Lovely dry day, perfect for excavating. Already looking forward to the next batch of pix in April 2013, or thereabouts.
Merry Christmas to all our readers.

snowglobe

9:03 PM - Aug 21, 2012 #4

Terry S wrote: Merry Christmas to all our readers.
Steady on Terry, looking forward to an Indian summer first! Can't wait to see the upcoming photos.
Last edited by snowglobe on 9:04 PM - Aug 21, 2012, edited 1 time in total.

Terry S
Terry S

10:26 PM - Aug 21, 2012 #5

Hi Pete.
I fully expected that my last missive would be the final one this year - hence the future festive greeting to all the We Dig viewers. It would be lovely to get an Indian summer, hopefully over this week and next, when I believe the excavations finish and complete the current SMC. Back to the fort next year and some nice deep digging to look forward to. See ya next year!
Ta ra for now,
T

SacoHarry

6:17 PM - Aug 22, 2012 #6

Terrific pictures Terry! What a year, as the site still continues to grow. The pictures really give a look at all that's been done in just really a few short months. Moreover, they've helped me flesh out a new plan for where the digging is, which had gotten a bit out of date. Here's the updated plan first:

(wider shot available here)

The new area, 11, is site of Justin's tweet of the big masonry & the Period IV (Hadrianic) east-west ditch.
Last edited by SacoHarry on 6:18 PM - Aug 22, 2012, edited 3 times in total.

SacoHarry

6:20 PM - Aug 22, 2012 #7

On to Terry's pictures. First batch:

Area 4c from extreme southeast looking north

This is old Area 1 off to the east; standing on the N/S path looking east. Now a convenient backfill site! It looks like the huge N/S wall has been pointed & preserved for viewing.

This is standing at the northernmost end of 4b, looking south across backfilled 4a in the foreground and the new work extending area 5 to the south to meet the old storehouse (Site XI in Justin's tweets)

The water tank in area 7, pressed back into service after 1800 years

Western edge of area 7/8 looking south, at the newly expanded trenches connecting 10 to 8
Last edited by SacoHarry on 6:24 PM - Aug 22, 2012, edited 1 time in total.

SacoHarry

6:27 PM - Aug 22, 2012 #8

And the rest of Terry's:

More of a close-up of the join between areas 8 and 10, looking south. Looks like tons of drains & ditches, but can't make sense really of what's going on.

Great overview of all of 7/8 from the NW looking SE. Again, tons of ditches, etc. (Have tried to put the most prominent ones in gray in the plan above)

Area 9 right next to the temple, from NE corner looking SW. Another apparent aqueduct/drain/ditch in the middle, running E-W.

The new area 11, from the NE corner looking west-ish. Very large Hadrianic (Period IV) ditch running E-W through it, with a later(?) N-S rubble wall/foundation in the near end.

Excavation of area 11 in progress. From east looking west.

Terry, thanks so much for these and for all the photos & updates throughout the year. They've been brilliant! For those who would like to see this whole album, including high-res versions, please visit http://opa.cig2.canon-europe.com/s/m/EUGGnxueEDt.
Last edited by SacoHarry on 6:33 PM - Aug 22, 2012, edited 2 times in total.

snowglobe

7:36 PM - Aug 22, 2012 #9

Can I add my thanks, great to see the site in sunshine, amazing progress. I note a sighting of Nigel there on site!

bishpt
bishpt

1:20 AM - Aug 23, 2012 #10

From this member sitting on the other side of the world i would like to add my appreciation as well. After a lack of images for the past 2 weeks it is great to see how much the site is progressing since I was there in May.
Thank you Terry