Gellan
Gellan

August 17th, 2012, 9:51 pm #11

Back from my time spent digging - it was amazing and great to meet all of you who were there! Very glad we didn't get rained off this afternoon or many of us wouldn't have seen that amazing altar and inscription get found - calling it the highlight of the week is a bit of an understatement but it certainly was! A fantastic end to a fantastic week.

Amongst other things found this week were: a couple of coins, a cloak brooch (I think?), a couple of leather soles, a good portion of an intaglio and a piece of pottery with some letters carved into it. I'm pretty sure there were more but those are the ones I can recall at the moment.

I do have lots of pics but have yet to properly sift through them, so in the mean time I present to you the dynamic duos of Andy + icecream and Justin + tree stump (below the bucket).
P1050111.jpg
P1050110.jpg
Last edited by Gellan on August 18th, 2012, 10:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

SacoHarry

August 17th, 2012, 11:30 pm #12

Gellan wrote:... seen that amazing altar and inscription get found ...
!!!!!!!!!!!!

sarcanon

August 18th, 2012, 2:18 am #13

Gellan wrote:Very glad we didn't get rained off this afternoon or many of us wouldn't have seen that amazing altar and inscription get found
Hang on a minute. Are you pulling our legs?

This hardly seems possible not much more than a week after an inscribed altar was found at Maryport. The coincidence would be absolutely stupefying.

Please provide more information. No detail is too small.

Justin-T

August 18th, 2012, 2:43 am #14

Yes, more info on the altar would be great!

(although maybe less info on the other small finds, we are asked to be careful not to go into details on those here, especially coins, so as not to encourage strangers in the night with metal detectors)

Gellan
Gellan

August 18th, 2012, 10:32 am #15

Justin-T: I edited out some information on the small finds, hopefully it's a better shade of vague now. Let me know if not and I'll pare it down further.

There's no definitely no leg-pulling about the altar. Unfortunately it wasn't complete but it was a sizeable piece with clear inscription on it, and a laurel wreath carved around it. One of the words wasn't immediately recognisable, but the others showed it was, I think, dedicated to Diana, goddess of the Hunt by either the first or second cohort of Tungrians. I got a few photos of it but I'm not sure if I'd be overstepping a mark by sharing them - unsure of the protocol here!

Perhaps a bit later on today I'll have some time to sit down and sort through the photos and put together some panoramics and hopefully some of you will be able to see areas that you've been working in.

SacoHarry

August 18th, 2012, 12:59 pm #16

That's astounding news! The 1st Tungrians were the early ones on-site... And there were vague reports in the 18th Century that a still-standing temple had just been knocked down by local farmers for building stone... It was thought to be a temple to Diana. I mean, wow!

SacoHarry

August 18th, 2012, 1:05 pm #17

The 1769 text describing the destroyed temple is here: http://s9.zetaboards.com/We_Dig_Vindola ... 7241767/1/.

Gellan
Gellan

August 18th, 2012, 3:24 pm #18

Very interesting article there. The bit about the festival to Diana being celebrated on August 13th makes me think it quite fitting that the altar should be found in the week that began on that day.

I could only see one I in the inscription so to my mind it is the first cohort, but another digger was saying something about there possibly being another I... whether or not that is actually the case, I don't know. We shall find out soon enough, though, as it's definitely a museum piece!

Do you think it would be alright for me to post some pictures of it, or should I hold back and wait for some sort of official go-ahead/permission?

SacoHarry

August 18th, 2012, 7:09 pm #19

As eager as I am (and am sure others are!), let's hold off for now. Word is that the Trust is working out the facts on what they've found and will have a press release up as soon as it's ready. I don't know if that means days or weeks, but being a kind of big deal, we should still wait til the release is out before posting pics.

In the meantime, I do enjoy a good bit of idle speculation & buzz!
Last edited by SacoHarry on August 18th, 2012, 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gellan
Gellan

August 18th, 2012, 7:57 pm #20

Aye, I thought something like that might be the case.

Right, I've gone through a lot of my pictures and put together some panoramics. I kept them rather large so that some detail of the areas will be visible. I'm afraid that my photos don't extend to the trenches on either side of the path near the west gate as I wasn't working in those areas. There might be some areas vaguely visible of said trenches that were on the side of the path that the excavator's hut is on, but most likely not in any great detail. If there are any requests for bigger photos of areas in the panoramics, let me know and I'll see what I can sort out as I might have different angles in other photos and whatnot. I do have some photos of the areas over the path to the left in the first panoramic if they're wanted.

Anyway enough waffle, enjoy!

Edit: Not sure what the etiquette is on photos of other finds (shoes, graffiti pottery and general shots of find bags) is but I do have those as well if they're of any interest/allowed.
vindolanda_pano07.jpg
vindolanda_pano05.jpg
vindolanda_pano01.jpg
Last edited by Gellan on August 18th, 2012, 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.