SacoHarry

August 7th, 2012, 11:20 pm #11

No worries M&H! If there aren't pics & stories about the week at least there's good camera advice! We'll take it. :)

Claire_M

August 8th, 2012, 7:01 am #12

Hey Moosenhobbs. Good to hear there will be more updates - I've a dissertation to be distracted from and the dearth of posts doesn't help!

On camera...check what reviews say about the software it runs, reason being that unlike old-style cameras, after the shutter closes, the data that is captured gets processed more - it does fancy maths to fill in and work out the data to create an image, rather than being a simple record of how the light hit the film.

Other than that, I'd second the Panasonic Lumix series and prioritising the lens - have a friend who is a pro (Downton Abbey, Merlin, bits of Games of Thrones among his credits) and he basically rates Leica. He also says something I don't entirely understand about the fact that if the camera sensor is small, then all the megapixels in the world won't help as it can't capture the data (so you're back to software making it up). That's something that is really about camera phones though I think.

August 8th, 2012, 9:43 am #13

Hi Claire_M

I think that I've settled on the Panasonic Lumix TZ-30, as it's got all the goodies plus a GPS receiver, which will be useful for TDP stuff (we're locating lots of new timbers at Vauxhall).

It is more expensive than I said, but I can get one cheaper if I buy from overseas (I'm working on that at the moment).

TTFN
Mooseandhobbes

Claire_M

August 8th, 2012, 10:07 am #14

Sounds great - fingers x'd you can find a good deal. Have fun at Vauxhall - one this blasted thing is written up I am going to sign up for some foreshore stuff, looking forwards to it.

Post us lots of Vindolanda pics please!

Badger
Badger

August 8th, 2012, 12:28 pm #15

Indeed...looking forward to seeing the site though the wonders of SunnyVision! :P
Badger

August 8th, 2012, 1:12 pm #16

Entering a little late into the conversation on cameras - in 2009 while on holiday in Scotland the viewer on the back of my Canon camera got broken. I could still take pix but couldn't see the image. On the way home we bought another one, in a rush, you know, one of those quick decisions, and do you know, it is the BEST camera I've ever had.

Canon PowerShot SX200 15, with 12 x optical zoom. It says on the lens ring that it is 12 x 15, with 5.0-60.mm 1:3.4-5.3 . Just over 4inches long and one and a half inch wide. Fits into the pocket, or hand, very nicely. Not very heavy either. And wasn't hugely expensive, around £200.

And most of you have seen the results I get from it. Its good on close-up and zoom. Good clear photographs - even taken on dark rainy days at Vindolanda the camera will make the sky seem summery :D I do a lot of videos on it, too.

Hope this helps a bit with the decision.

Malise

snowglobe

August 8th, 2012, 2:51 pm #17

mooseandhobbes wrote:I think that I've settled on the Panasonic Lumix TZ-30, as it's got all the goodies plus a GPS receiver, which will be useful for TDP stuff (we're locating lots of new timbers at Vauxhall).
The gps on cameras is useful but can take some time to fix its location so if you just switch on the camera take a shot and switch off it could be out by up to half a mile! Leaving it on standby will provide better accuracy but will reduce your battery life. Gps on smart phones work faster as they use telephone masts as well as the Gps satellites . If marking small features the GPS setting may give you false results? This must be a record, two pages of a weeks digging without any actual reports of what's going on, over 800 we dig members surely someone must be on site?

August 8th, 2012, 3:04 pm #18

Hi Snowglobe,

yeah, I know that the gps on cameras can be a bit hit and miss, and at the site where I most particularly need it, it's likely to be more miss than hit because the site is overlooked by MI6! :X

Nevertheless, if I can get it to work it'll be really useful as the site is very changeable and features appear and disappear, so it can be very difficult to re/locate them. For real accuracy we have Geomatics (the UCL geophysics team).

It's a good camera anyway, so if I can get it for a good price, I'll be happy. And I never leave home without a spare battery :D .

One little Vindolanda update....pleeeeease...just one little Vindolanda update.

Justin-T

August 8th, 2012, 3:32 pm #19

Quick note on the battery: looks like it doesn't come with a charger, they expect you to charge the battery in-camera. The reviews on dpreview.com are very comprehensive, I'd take a quick look there before making final decision:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panason ... z30-review

The image examples look pretty good to me for a compact.

One last comment: having capability to shoot RAW (ie: uncompressed, not jpeg) is nice because you have much greater power to adjust exposure in post-processing than from a jpeg. Not as common in compacts, but some do have it; Lumix's don't seem to have that option. May or may not be important to you.

And yes, it would be nice to hear something about progress on-site, even Justin has stopped tweeting, maybe he's away?
Last edited by Justin-T on August 8th, 2012, 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sarcanon

August 8th, 2012, 5:25 pm #20

Regarding geolocation and photos, this is what I've done in the past. My principal camera is a Canon SLR (Rebel T3i). It has no GPS capabilities. But I do have a couple of GPS units (a consumer-grade Garmin GPS 60cx and a low-end professional unit, AshTech's Mobile Mapper 6). When I go out for a photo session, I bring my GPS as well. Before setting out, I make certain to sync the clock on the camera to the GPS unit's time (which, of course, will be the more accurate). When I get back to home base, I download the logs from my GPS and use those to geolocate the photos by correlating date-time-stamps on the photos.

This can be a bit labor-intensive depending on the number of images taken, and when I get the time, I'm going to write some software to automate the process. But I get very accurate geodata, and I can power down my camera whenever I like without having to worry about waiting for satellite or mobile tower syncing. The GPS does need to stay powered on for the duration of the session. but it drains more slowly than my camera.