Justin-T

July 25th, 2012, 8:41 pm #11

Thanks Nic. If you or anyone from the North Field can post a picture from there on Thurs or Fri, it would be much appreciated... Dying to see how/whether the ditches extend into the easterly half of the trench.

Maybe someone could ask Justin B to do another tweet & pic from there? He did some earlier in the season.

You may not be able to believe it, but I didn't eat a single Vindo ice-cream last week! :o

NicC
NicC

July 26th, 2012, 7:31 pm #12

First the bad news: we lost about an hour to rain.
Now the good news: Pauline's chicken korma for the buffet was to die for!
Anniversaries: Beth had one - cake pic attached (if the grey matter remembers!)
What went on? More scratching away with trowels. Due to congestion in 10 I was moved to area 7/8 and had the entire 1/4 acre of trench to myself. Fortunately I only had to scrape one little ditch. The usual pottery and nothing else. Will I go the entire 2 weeks with no "small find" to my name? The extension to 9 started by Justin yesterday which revealed large flags was, actually, a re-dig of a previous Justin trench so nowt exciting after all. Trench 10 was found to have a cut in it. Tomorrow that is 2 be investigated to try and remove the horrible specter of a possible 19th century drainage ditch. A nice burning and some friendly stones have appeared in the extension to trench 10. Other people were doing things but I know not what apart from scraping. The afternoon rain prompted a partial evacuation of 10 so a new cut was begun to join se corner of 10 with sw corner of 8 although I am not sure if the connection is to be made (thinking barrow runs). Will have to check it out tomorrow.
I must just add (because pic follows) that last week a northwards extension to 4b was made. No work is being done on it this week.
tr4b.jpg
Tr_5_west_end_of_aqueduct.jpg
Roman_oak_leaf.jpg
North_field_sw_ne.jpg
North_field_nw_se.jpg
Beths_cake.jpg

NicC
NicC

July 26th, 2012, 7:35 pm #13

further pics (hope y'all understand my shorthand!)
Tr10_with_cut.jpg
tr10_friends.jpg
tr10_burning.jpg
tr9_justins_flags.jpg
tr7_and_8_west_end.jpg

NicC
NicC

July 26th, 2012, 7:41 pm #14

Just an experiment - a movie file. I do not know if you will be able to view it or download it. It's nowt special - just a 360 degree of the area - not the trenches unless they happen to get into shot! I do not even know if it will post this but ignore file - it says it is attached and it just gets in under the 7.5mb limit.

BOO HISS - all that time to upload and there is no link in the post so I do not know where it went. Maybe Harry can find it?
Last edited by NicC on July 26th, 2012, 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SacoHarry

July 26th, 2012, 7:47 pm #15

Before anything else, wow the oak leaf is amazing! Is it really from a sealed context & really Roman??

Badger
Badger

July 26th, 2012, 8:47 pm #16

I would take that oak leaf over any conventional small find. That, my friends, is a bit of history. Fallen leaves from the 3rd century AD.
I don't suppose you have a better pic of it, that one is out of focus.
When I am on site I try and snap any interesting small things (getting permission from A and J where necessary). And I always snap them from several angles and distances. Just to make sure I get one good picture of something precious.
Tim Wolter

NicC
NicC

July 27th, 2012, 6:00 am #17

Badger, I am afraid that that is it. Harry, according to Alberto, who was showing it around, it is Roman. If Alberto found it then he was at the west end of the aqueduct.

Weather today (7.00 am @ the Twicey Weather Bureau): bright sunshine, blue sky, grey clouds and breezy so anything could happen!

SacoHarry

July 27th, 2012, 1:14 pm #18

Great article in today's "Journal Live" seems to confirm that diggers have indeed found the spring-head! Exciting to be able to see where it all comes from and then be able to start really tracing all those wild ditches & conduits to see how they played together.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-east ... -31465284/

Justin-T

July 27th, 2012, 1:28 pm #19

How do you find this stuff Harry?! Again, thanks for posting. I think one of the pots he's referring to was discovered just last week; in several pieces, but in an upright position and adjacent pieces stil next to each other. (The paper's photo editor should be shot for not correcting the exposure...)

Another piece of info in there is that the next Scheduled Monument Consent has come through, so the digging will continue! B)

As far as the oak leaf, it seems believable to me, oak leaves are pretty hardy as leaves go (just like the wood itself), and maybe it just blew in before someone slopped a pile of rubbish over it.

NicC
NicC

July 27th, 2012, 4:54 pm #20

Hah - the printed version had two pix which included 3 volunteers (including myself) 'excavating' the well which, of course, was excavated several weeks ago. The picture left in was of a certain Dr A Birley who was on holiday this week so it may have been a file pic.

As to today: started in heavy drizzle or light rain, take your pick. No time lost, we simply laboured through it (and, yes Mr Spellchecker, laboured does have a u in it!). The day ended in sunshine although rain is now spattering against the window in the Twicey - oh no it is not - it has stopped as I type and now we have glorious evening sunshine! As to today's activities: trench 10 - the cut discovered yesterday was proved to be Roman - possibly a beam slot. Trench 9 was tidied up and people re-assigned to little jobs in 7/8. Anaerobic stuff continued at the end of the aqueduct and where I presume 'anaerobic gulch' is.

Today's pics are of the new cut that extends the sw corner of 8 towards 10. And group photos (Beth and Trudi were being naughty and played truant from the photo-shoot)
PIC_0046.jpg
PIC_0045.jpg
PIC_0044.jpg
PIC_0043.jpg
new_cut_tr8_towards_tr10.jpg