NicC
NicC

5:29 PM - Jul 20, 2012 #21

As I mentioned to someone on MSN - red arms, white body! Full days digging achieved so that is 4 out of 5. Lots of things achieved. Some of the ditches by the water tank were confirmed Roman due to an intaglio (sp?) being found. And like London buses...another was found elsewhere. A piece of worked flint found in our area by my trench buddy (I think this is area 7/8 - but definitely just a couple of yards to the west of the water tank. Justin's tweet shows what is coming up in area 10. At end of day there was a lot more road surface uncovered (pix later) so it looks like I am cobble scraping duty again next week.

2 questions about the Roman Empire are left unanswered:
a) why was Vindolanda built so far from the Twicey and
b) why was it built so far from the excavators car park?

That's it for this week (but I will revisit with some pix later)

Saturday midday - pics added. Please note that a Wtaretank is a water tank in disguise.

Badger - I do not have the energy to walk! (or the fitness)
Wtaretank.jpg
Trench10road.jpg
Trench9.jpg
Trench7and8.jpg
Trench7_and_8.jpg
Last edited by NicC on 11:52 AM - Jul 21, 2012, edited 2 times in total.

Badger
Badger

5:42 PM - Jul 20, 2012 #22

Carry on Nic

My take on the distance from trench to Twicey by foot. Yes, in the morning you have to walk to the Hedley end of things...but you are walking off that ridiculous breakfast! And at the end of the day, when ale beckons, you can just head out the west gate and save a few hundred yards.

T.Wolter

Justin-T

6:23 PM - Jul 20, 2012 #23

Not much to add to Nic's post, glorious sunshine much of the day, no midges in the n field; glad to have managed to get four full days in this week.

There was some more rain last night, but it only filled the North Field trench about a quarter full this time, so we only needed a thirty minute pump & bale out. The ditch became more clearly defined across most of the trench, with the southerly "side" of it followed up to what must be close to ground level when it was dug originally.

Nice thick clay layer was evident under the stones of the later curly (Roman) drain. The mass of silt and gravel in the main ditch was again largely find free, some large pieces of cow rib and vertebrae (tempting to speculate we found much of the carcass of the same cow, the major pieces were all found in the same approximate location...) and a little pottery. Elsewhere in the trench the finds seemed to be broadly similar.

Plan for next week is to push into the easterly side of the trench, wish I was there to help! Four of the six of us will be back, to be joined by four new recruits.

The end of a very satisfying week. Thanks to Beth and Alex, Jane & Ronan, Lesley, Trudi and Alberto.

The group photo for the NF; wide shot of the trench at the end of the week; closeup crop showing the layer of gray clay packed beneath the drain and the base blue-gray clay of the ditch:
trench_closeup.jpg
End_of_week_trench.jpg
NF_crew.jpg
Last edited by Justin-T on 7:57 AM - Jul 21, 2012, edited 1 time in total.