sarcanon

July 18th, 2012, 3:01 pm #11

Badger wrote:I do peek at the forecast out of Hexham now and then. It does not seem to correlate all that well with Vindo, but the weather did not look beyond salvage....
Badger:

Perhaps you're aware already, but there is a slightly closer weather station at Bardon Mill. Given Northumberland's micro-climates, I'm not sure this is a big improvement over Hexham, but perhaps...

- Scott

Justin-T

July 18th, 2012, 3:39 pm #12

Badger wrote:Justin-T glad you have recovered your identity. Is it Justinian or his father Justin, or some other dignified chap?

T.Wolter
Good question, its Justinian. I had been (until today) under the impression that my name was derived from Justinian. Apparently I have the wrong chap, his uncle is my namesake. Will have to do some digging to find a replacement image. His nephew seems to have been a good deal more famous so it didn't take long to find the image I've been using. Dang.

Justin-T

July 18th, 2012, 4:10 pm #13

Despite the fact that at 12:30 we were in bright sunshine the decision to call off for the day was not unexpected, and as NicC described, it cycled between sunshine and showers until about 4pm -- about 20 minutes of each at a time -- so it was the right call. Sounds better for Thursday & Friday.

I did partake of the Barcombe walk, and when it wasn't raining sideways in winds gusting to 30-40mph it was an enjoyable and interesting jaunt. One of the sunny spells coincided with our appearance at the top, so I got some nice shots of the classic fort view, Alex doing his thing, and the graffiti that Justin mentioned in his tweet (not for those of a nervous disposition). Oh, those naughty Romans.

Roman_graffiti.jpg
Alex_on_walk.jpg
fort_from_Barcombe.jpg

Badger
Badger

July 18th, 2012, 11:13 pm #14

Ah yes, Justin (or Iustin) was the uncle of Justinian. If you really need an image I have an interesting coin from Justin. It is appears to be one of the really small, thin gold coins (a tremissis I think) but is in fact a forgery with base metal peeking through. Nice image of Justin though...

Badger/T.Wolter

Sarcanon, thanks for the Bardon Mills tip. When we get around to tweaking WeDig in the off season we should add that as a button on the site. I hear we have a new admin who will crack the whip. The peasants groan....

T
Last edited by Badger on July 18th, 2012, 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NicC
NicC

July 19th, 2012, 7:14 am #15

08:10 - the blue sky which had been in evidence has nw disappeared and some rather nasty grey stuff has appeared. However, that appears to be intermittent as a little patch of blue has floated into the view afforded by my window in the Twicey. Looks ike it could be a stop/start day if we get started (lots of rain overnight). Breakfast calls.

Justin-T

July 19th, 2012, 5:09 pm #16

Gorgeous day erupted from the slightly dodgy looking start, the stream near the Hedley, which normally passes under the road behind Codley Gate Farm, was going over the road deep enough that I had to be careful going thru it, so we clearly had a lot more rain overnight. However, after baling out we had a full day's digging.

In the North Field we were greeted with a swimming pool, trench full to the brim (impressive, given that its about two meters deep) and more significant collapse of the baulk beside the Victorian drain. However, by about 11 it was fully pumped and hand baled. Alex cleared most of the collapse and rigged up a fresh extension of the drain that worked beautifully.

Lesley and Alberto did yeoman's work cleaning out and finishing up the larger side of the ditch, Trudi and I extended the ditch out further east, where it appears it might be changing direction, or just fusing with the "main" ditch; hopefully tomorrow will reveal which. Ronan and Jane pushed an easterly segment down closer to the ditch level, a nice piece of pottery with a barely clad gentleman on it was among the finds there. All signs continuing to point to this being an early period ditch system.

The day was also spiced up by the presence of a BBC film crew, who spent well over an hour interviewing Alex while he stood in the trench. Fortunately they were fine with us continuing to work!

Picture 1 showing the new Olympic pool trench when we got there in the morning, note how the black pipe now leads to nowhere and was pouring new water in at a good clip.

Picture 2 at the end of the day, new gray pipe in place and ditches extending and exposed further. The section I had cleaned so carefully yesterday to be re-exposed later.
End_of_day_4.jpg
full_trench.jpg
Last edited by Justin-T on July 19th, 2012, 8:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

NicC
NicC

July 19th, 2012, 6:38 pm #17

Well, my wonderful forecast this morning led to an uninterrupted days digging! Some people had to be shifted but mostly we stayed where we had been. Summer broke out for the morning and clouds in the arvo but no rain until after the buffet. An urn was found in 10. Apart from that I do not think that anything major was found - just ditches and stones - some of them related to each other which made me happy as I found them. But what they are I do not know. Oh, carefully excavated a lot of plastic so went from trowel to mattock!

3 pics attached: 1) trench #9 being extended towards the ice cream booth to cut down the walk time. 2) where my stones are (honest they are in there somewhere)
and 3) my friendly stones.
PIC_0017.jpg
PIC_0018.jpg
PIC_0019.jpg
Last edited by NicC on July 19th, 2012, 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SacoHarry

July 19th, 2012, 6:57 pm #18

Loving the dual updates! Plastic in the ground... 1000 years from now that will be the determiner for late 20th/early 21st C levels. The "Plasticene."

Justin-T

July 19th, 2012, 8:00 pm #19

Pictures added to today's update. And its raining again.

NicC
NicC

July 20th, 2012, 6:56 am #20

Stopped raining - too bright to look out of the window - or my eyes are too bleary. Expect we will resolved all outstanding questions re the Roman Empire by 'down tools' today!