Terry S
Terry S

July 12th, 2012, 9:55 pm #11

No work in the North Field today and I don't think there will be any tomorrow. Forecast OK for next 24 hours, but all work will be on the main site. Not sure about next week.

Andy
Andy

July 13th, 2012, 7:58 am #12

Yeah guys,

We absolutely detest backfilling an area which cannot be completed due to the weather (2007 being the last time this happened), but at some stage we have to make the call. Under normal circumstances we may leave this area open until better weather the following season, but at the end of an SMC this is simply not possible. However, we are making progress in lots of other areas despite the conditions, and once again my thanks go out to the team who have been superb to keep going. Well done folks, stiff upper lip and all of that. :-)

SacoHarry

July 13th, 2012, 11:31 am #13

Pictures from Thursday as promised! And what's that.... dry soil? No puddles??

Progress in new trench off NW corner of 7/8, near temple, looking N

Progress in new trench of SW corner of 7/8, near temple, looking SE

Image of drains/stonework (and other unknown features!) in SW corner of 7/8

Backfilling continuing at northern lip of 4a

A look down 4a, 4b, 4c into still waterlogged ditch system
Last edited by SacoHarry on July 13th, 2012, 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Terry S
Terry S

July 13th, 2012, 7:12 pm #14

Third dry day under our belts! No work in North Field, but, weather permitting, will re-commence next week.
Photos will reveal the work done today. Lots of pottery and some bone. A couple of nice finds. A brace of birthdays today (Alex and Vicky), celebrated with a choccie cake. And ... at the end of the afternoon, a group photo!
The BBC4 crew on site yesterday were filming for a programme about aerial photography in archaeology. No further info at present.
An excellent week, especially the last 60%. My thanks and best wishes to Pete, Yue, Ralph, John, Margaret, Jamie, Lynda ... and me.
Roll on November.
Last edited by Terry S on July 13th, 2012, 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sue Munro

July 13th, 2012, 9:20 pm #15

Any problems with tree roots up in the trench by the hut? Have they interfered with the arcaheology at all?

snowglobe

July 14th, 2012, 6:45 am #16

I see the back fill creeping up on the section I helped dig in May. Sad but a bit of a water issue! Must dust down the camera for another visit soon.
Thanks for the updates, also Justin's photo tweets.

Justin-T

July 14th, 2012, 6:52 am #17

Thanks for all updates Terry, a very trying start, but sounds like a great end to the week. Glad to hear the North Field should reopen for business. I'll be at the TBI by some time this afternoon to take a look, shame we can't dig this weekend because it looks like it might be dry both days...

(anybody know how an avatar picture can change on its own? Mine and Badgers both seem to have become random trench pictures :o )
Last edited by Justin-T on July 14th, 2012, 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Badger
Badger

July 14th, 2012, 3:33 pm #18

Justin T
The issue must be on your computer. On mine we are our respective regal and furry selves.
Badger

SacoHarry

July 14th, 2012, 4:29 pm #19

Terry's pictures from Friday, as promised!

Progress in new trench NW of 7/8

Progress in new trench SW of 7/8

Standing at S edge of 8, looking N up across 7/8. So much archaeology here! Terry, or anyone, can you illuminate a bit of what's showing here?

NW extension of area 7

Overview of 7/8 standing at NE edge looking SW-ish. Watertank visible at left (ironically in -front- of the huge pool of water!). Again, lots of trenches, boulders, color changes -- any clues for the arm-chair brigade of what's happening?

Middle of the old 4b looking north at the nicely defined edge of the early N/S ditch system going under the later Severan stones and vicus aqueduct.
Last edited by SacoHarry on July 14th, 2012, 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SacoHarry

July 15th, 2012, 12:57 am #20

Where are my manners? A huge shout-out to Terry for all the shots this week! It's a lot of fun as always watching the site unfold, and much appreciated.