SacoHarry

June 29th, 2012, 11:17 am #41

Newcastle city-centre:

Hope everybody's homes -- and selves -- in the area are OK!

Justin-T

June 29th, 2012, 11:32 am #42

Dramatic picture! I hope there wasn't any damage in the trenches...

I checked the Met's blog again and they updated the info overnight, it's now the second wettest June, only 6mm short of the record. Looks certain the record will fall. Not clear how they determine the overall rainfall for the whole country, but all parts of England, Wales and N. Ireland have been hit about equally, only Scotland has received a near normal rainfall for the month.
Last edited by Justin-T on June 29th, 2012, 11:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

June 29th, 2012, 11:51 am #43

Yoiks!

This is what has been falling on Leicestershire...

SacoHarry

June 29th, 2012, 12:01 pm #44

Perhaps the Mayans were on to something?

Badger
Badger

June 29th, 2012, 2:26 pm #45

OK, the rain is now officially no longer funny.
I know that spot in Newcastle. Bought a sandwich at the shoppe in the center of the photo on my way to the airport.

T.Wolter

kudos to our intrepid photographer Snowglobe. This has not been an easy two weeks, and his pics are the equivalent of combat photos.

T

SacoHarry

June 29th, 2012, 2:47 pm #46

Amen Tim. Here's a time-lapse video of the storm first hitting Newcastle. Just a wall of water:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBm29KazafI

Amazingly, Justin's recent tweet shows the trenches back & open for business today! Hat's off to the staff & volunteers, you guys are all hardcore!
Last edited by SacoHarry on June 29th, 2012, 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snowglobe

June 29th, 2012, 9:37 pm #47

A glorious day today, some light drizzle early on then a bright dry day to finish the week, after bailing we hit the top of a nice double ditch. Satisfying finish to the week. Fast wrk by Andy and staff saved the museum from some nasty flood water.
Snowglobe signing off, no more digging this year.

Fiona D
Fiona D

June 29th, 2012, 9:50 pm #48

Amazing you managed to get any digging in at all after yesterdays deluge - thanks for keeping us up to date Pete..

sharpjv
sharpjv

June 30th, 2012, 1:56 pm #49

It always amazes me how tough the staff & volunteers are in the face of extreme weather! Despite everything that the gods could throw at us, we still managed to get some good digging done over the last 2 weeks. Well done to Andy, Justin, Beth & Alex for dealing with terrible conditions on site and inspiring the rest of us to get on with the archaeology, finding some excellent ditches & organic layers.

I thought my 1st week spent in a tent at Winshields was wet enough, but at least I had the luxury of Codley Gate Cottage for the 2nd (just near the Hedley Centre) . That is until it flooded. Here's a video to show how bad the rain was at the Bradley Burn on the Stanegate: Codley Gate Flood. This was taken about 2 minutes before it started pouring in through the kitchen wall, resulting in 6 hours of bailing & mopping. Andy was dealing with a flood at the museum from the same stream at the same time.

Who'd have thought that the day after (Friday) would be the best day of digging out of the whole fortnight!?

I'll post some photos later.

John
_DSC3168.jpg

June 30th, 2012, 5:45 pm #50

All credit to everyone who has had to cope with those conditions, and, as usual, kept on doing a sterling job.

I'm trying to think of something to say about your video that doesn't involve swearing.

Nope...can't think of anything :o