Week 13

Rosie
Rosie

5:59 PM - Jun 28, 2011 #1

All the same areas as last week are begin worked on. The biggest group are working on temple avenue and taking down the levels to the anaerobic. The last session for today Tuesday was to the laminate layer so hopefully tomorrow will be good. Weather has been great. Finds have been mostly pottery and glass but evidence of workrooms has been appearing in the shape of lead as well as burning. A lovely carved stone of the head of a lion was also found in a wall.

SacoHarry

9:34 PM - Jun 28, 2011 #2

Thanks for the update! Hearing rumors swirling about the awesomeness of the carved stone. Hope to see a picture of it if anyone has. :) Sounds like a great week so far.

Badger
Badger

1:46 PM - Jun 29, 2011 #3

Justin's Twitter seems to be restored and he is paraphrasing Carter at the opening of King Tut's tomb:

"Anaerobes....everywhere the smell of anaerobes..."

T.Wolter

SacoHarry

6:10 PM - Jul 01, 2011 #4

Justin's latest Tweet really interesting. Another altar, and used in a buttress? What would have been buttressed in a barrack?? Were the Centurion's quarters two-story?

IanS
IanS

10:16 PM - Jul 01, 2011 #5

Hi Harry and everyone else.
The altar was indeed found in a buttress against the Centurian's wall but the wall showed signs of collapsing outwards. So I'd guess the buttress was an attempt to prop it up. The altar and some other nice stones had been used in the foundation layer of the buttress.
Seems to be some debate about which god it's dedicated to and the significance of the symbols so I wont speculate, hopefully Andy or Justin will comment.
I've got some great pics, just feel I should ask Andy first. I'll update when I hear back or if he or Justin give the ok on here.
Great week!
Ian.

Last edited by IanS on 10:25 PM - Jul 01, 2011, edited 1 time in total.

IanS
IanS

12:27 PM - Jul 02, 2011 #6

Ok folks here's the altar....

The buttress against the Centurian's apartmant wall on the left.

The altar emerging in the foundations.

Ready for lifting.

It's not expertly carved but the symbols are fantastic.

Some detail on the side.

And finally here's the lions head from earlier in the week, not a great shot with the shadows but you can make it out.

What a great week we had, next week has a lot to live up to.
Ian.

Badger
Badger

5:36 PM - Jul 02, 2011 #7

Wow.
That altar is weird. I can think of a variety of explanations for the iconography, all of which belong over in the non serious "Pub" section!
T.Wolter

IanS
IanS

6:53 PM - Jul 02, 2011 #8

I agree Badger, very weird. That's why I'm leaving it for Andy or Justin to comment!
I've not seen anything like it but it seems neither has anybody else.
Did hear a couple of theories but lots of research and head scratching going on at the moment I suspect.
Ian.

Sue Munro

6:59 PM - Jul 04, 2011 #9

Re the altar - could it have been some sort of practice piece? It looks like something you'd make in primary school when the children are studying Romans!

Andy
Andy

11:40 AM - Jul 05, 2011 #10

probably not a practice but perhaps a home made dedication on a cheap reduced price half finished altar from a shop :-) dedication to god thus far unknown....