snowglobe

4:12 PM - Jun 20, 2012 #11

The app is called pannarma by wondershare software it's a free app not bad results ? Lovely warm day again with the ice cream kiosk doing a brisk trade. Diggers chasing the spring and continuing to de turf. Photos with Harry to post.
Last edited by snowglobe on 5:16 PM - Jun 20, 2012, edited 1 time in total.

SacoHarry

2:02 AM - Jun 21, 2012 #12

More today from snowglobe:

"Work progressing in the north field. North/south ditch now seems to have flagged base? Interesting lump of iron stone in the centre?"

"The road has been recorded, now Chris is tracking an interesting ditch to the north side"

"The field drain to the south of the road has been cleared, unknown date, last thing a north/south drain appeared (centre left) will carry on uncovering it tomorrow. The ice cream kiosk is doing a roaring trade at the west gate, a big hit with the diggers."

"Here Alex is surveying the road, Chris looking at a ditch feature behind."

"Here fellow diggers defining the edge of a large west/east ditch in the north field, very slim on dating evidence but thick with iron pan! Organic material could be close."

Thanks again Pete!

Justin-T

12:57 PM - Jun 21, 2012 #13

Seems to be plenty of interesting and varied stuff going on in the field. Excellent photos Mr Globe! Counting down the days... (25)

Badger
Badger

2:30 PM - Jun 21, 2012 #14

Justin T

We are certainly looking forward to updates on your tour of duty....the late summer weeks so often are less reported upon.

T.Wolter

SacoHarry

2:48 PM - Jun 21, 2012 #15

Justin, interesting idea re that satellite shot. I noticed on one of snowglobe's pictures from a couple days ago what looks like a farm track running just past the southern edge of the trench. Picture attached. But I don't know if that's the same feature or is just from a recent tractor pass.

At any rate, I'm guessing Andy & crew had good reasons for opening the trench precisely where they did. It'd be awesome if they're finding on the ground just what they were seeing in the air.
Wk_12___12_edited.jpg

SacoHarry

3:00 PM - Jun 21, 2012 #16

Also, the Canadian team has posted a nice update on the work they're doing in the vicus: http://westernclassicalstudies.wordpres ... indolanda/

Excerpt: "...Following a drain feature further South within the trench. This has thus far involved de-turfing a new area, troweling back our uncovered ground, and exposing uncovered features and changes in the make-up of the soil. As the sun has been shining (quite surprisingly!) and the dirt is quite wet (not at all surprising!) it has been very hard but still very pleasurable work. Signs of life abound and we are constantly uncovering pottery and animal bones – all good signals that this area was well lived in by ancient peoples."

Good photos of area 7/8 too.

Justin-T

3:04 PM - Jun 21, 2012 #17

Badger wrote:We are certainly looking forward to updates on your tour of duty....the late summer weeks so often are less reported upon.
Tim - I will definitely be doing a daily report. In 2010 I did it as my own blog outside WeDig, I'm thinking I'll probably do that again. However, I do remember it sucking up at least an hour to an hour and a half of time each evening, so the thought of sending Harry 5 or 6 pictures with 1-line captions definitely has a certain appeal! B)
If nobody reports on the vicus during that week I will try to get at least some end-of-the-day shots to WeDig.
SacoHarry wrote:I noticed on one of snowglobe's pictures from a couple days ago what looks like a farm track running just past the southern edge of the trench. Picture attached. But I don't know if that's the same feature or is just from a recent tractor pass.
Ah, you're probably right, a much simpler explanation and the position of it looks to match pretty well with the aerial shot. I tend to look at the landscape now with the first thought that everything is Roman!
Last edited by Justin-T on 3:08 PM - Jun 21, 2012, edited 3 times in total.

Rosie
Rosie

3:34 PM - Jun 21, 2012 #18

Today has been rained off after an hour of digging this morning. Forecast for tomorrow is not looking good. The well, pit, victorian trench will have to wait for drier conditions.

5:41 PM - Jun 21, 2012 #19

wrote:SacoHarry I noticed on one of snowglobe's pictures from a couple days ago what looks like a farm track running just past the southern edge of the trench. Picture attached. But I don't know if that's the same feature or is just from a recent tractor pass.
You may remember a large spoil heap alongside the gate? Well it got moved the third week of May by 2 hired tractors who trundled across the North Field and dumped it over the far side.

So it was not 'one tractor pass' but 2 constantly working to and fro. It got interesting when they met passing traffic on the Stanegate! :D

snowglobe

6:45 AM - Jun 22, 2012 #20

Rain pouring down again here on the Wall, thick mist shrouded the Twice Brewed last night ,very atmospheric.