Week 10?

SacoHarry

2:11 AM - Jun 10, 2011 #1

Any intrepid WeDig'ers on the scene this week? Justin's Twitter feed filled with gems as usual, anybody have a story or a few pics to flesh it out?

el kevano

4:04 PM - Jun 10, 2011 #2

hey harry (and everybody)! I planned to take a photo of each barrack room today after we had finished and post them but the heavens well and truly opened on us and that was the end of that! As usual there has been great progress and im sure everybody is dying to see the latest developments so i will go up tomorrow and take the pictures. Aerial cam in tomorrow too so we are all really looking forward to seeing those pics - they will be amazing! Cheers, kev

maryb_10

9:18 AM - Jun 11, 2011 #3

Hi Harry! I took some photos as well, but won't be able to post until Tuesday. (in transit home with the camera...) It was a great week- the rain held off until the very end. Will post more as soon as I can.

Lyn A
Lyn A

10:39 AM - Jun 12, 2011 #4

David and I (Lyn) had another fantastic week at Vindolanda.

I was in a team in the subdivided room with the interesting large depression/pit/well (or just a bad case of subsidence) and possible workshop room behind. We all had some very interesting and lovely small finds so no complaints from me, but the pit remains a mystery to be discovered by subsequent teams – u lucky devils! I can’t wait to find out.

Hubby David was busy working several rooms away levelling off the Centurions room where I know the team also found some great pottery and small finds.

Special thanks to my teams ‘dig buddy’ Steve for passing on his font of knowledge and towelling/digging techniques, I’ll be putting them to good use shortly at a local dig near Chester.

We can’t wait to return to Vindolanda it’s just an amazing place that never fails to deliver something new and exciting. ;)

maryb_10

1:25 AM - Jun 16, 2011 #5

Finally uploaded some photos -- here are a couple showing evidence of a roundhouse in one of the barrack rooms. (if you look very closely...) I tried to highlight the section with some very fancy (cough, sorry) illustrative lines. They had to peel back a couple different types of floor over the course of the week to get there, but it was worth it!
Roundhouse_2.jpg
Roundhouse_1.jpg

maryb_10

1:32 AM - Jun 16, 2011 #6

I was digging in the barrack where the child's skeleton was found last summer -- didn't have many exciting finds, but Pat did uncover a lovely bit of Samian and a piece of brooch. The most exciting discovery of the week for us had to do with the cobbled floor -- it was not laid out quite as expected, and I am interested to see what kind of cobble pattern emerges in the surrounding barracks over the course of the next few weeks.
IMG_0528.jpg
IMG_0511.jpg

maryb_10

1:35 AM - Jun 16, 2011 #7

Helen was digging in the room next to us -- they had several interesting finds, but I only managed to snap of photo of the huge piece of lead that she pulled out of the ground. Possibly a curse tablet? (someone please correct me if I misremember any of these details -- the jet lag has killed my brain!)
IMG_0431.jpg
IMG_0429.jpg

Badger
Badger

1:55 AM - Jun 16, 2011 #8

That last one with the lead....much bigger than the curse tablets I have seen at the British Museum. Must have been a doozy!

T.Wolter

Sue Munro

1:09 PM - Jun 18, 2011 #9

It looks more like a piece of lead roof flashing that I've got in my back yard!

timadams

3:28 AM - Jul 15, 2011 #10

Here are some shots from Week 10. Sorry for the delay, but we just got home after detouring to Pompeii.

During the week we managed to hike up to the quarry in the hillside, and got some terrific views.
DiggingInTheRain_IMG_7059.jpg
BethVisits_DSC02834.jpg
VindolandaFort_DSC02829.jpg
Pre_AntonineWall_DSC02849.jpg
VindolandaFromQuarry_IMG_7007.jpg
SycamoreGap_IMG_7006.jpg
Last edited by timadams on 3:32 AM - Jul 15, 2011, edited 2 times in total.