SacoHarry

April 3rd, 2012, 1:40 pm #11

Thanks to some great shots from Terry S & Pauline, here appears to be the 1st day's deturfing areas:

Terry's corresponding shots:

View of Sites 1a & 1b, standing just west of 1a looking east

View of 1a, across last yr's uncovered fort wall, over to Site 2, standing from same place looking a bit southeast

Closer view of Site 2, again standing to its west & looking east

New trench, Site 3, opened just south of the main road through the vicus, standing at NW looking SE

Back to Site 2 again, this time standing on the main road, looking N

Thx for the great shots Terry! For those who would like higher-resolution of the whole set, you can find them at: http://opa.cig2.canon-europe.com/s/m/C5fRDEvBuFv
Last edited by SacoHarry on April 3rd, 2012, 3:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SacoHarry

April 3rd, 2012, 3:01 pm #12

An image taken today elsewhere in Northumberland suggests winter not quite done yet!

(found on the Northumberland FaceBook page)
Last edited by SacoHarry on April 3rd, 2012, 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MBetz
MBetz

April 3rd, 2012, 3:05 pm #13

Ahhh, the weather in Northumberland for Spring. I think I'll grab my rum and coke and head inside for some AC!

The pictures are great. Makes me want to book a ticket now and head on over, poor weather and all. Best of Luck everyone.

katesf
katesf

April 3rd, 2012, 3:41 pm #14

Day 2: The excavations were hit by rain, which later turned to snow and a biting northerly wind today. We did excavate for a good part of the morning and there were valiant efforts to keep going in the snow after an early lunch. One new area was opened up just to the west of the foopath (north-south path). It will need to await more gentle weather to get any information from this new trench.

katesf
katesf

April 3rd, 2012, 3:43 pm #15

SacoHarry wrote:Thanks to some great shots from Terry S & Pauline, here appears to be the 1st day's deturfing areas:

The diagram is accurate Harry.

katesf
katesf

April 3rd, 2012, 3:45 pm #16

SacoHarry wrote:Also, as of last year I was still calling that big defensive wall 3rd C. Sounds, Kate, like it's assuredly much earlier? Antonine / mid-2nd C?
Antonine/mid-2nd century is the date of the wall. Rampart and ditch may be re-use from a slightly earlier date.

Mike C
Mike C

April 3rd, 2012, 5:20 pm #17

Thanks for the great photos the, I can see where the diggings heading now.

SacoHarry

April 3rd, 2012, 6:41 pm #18

katesf wrote:
SacoHarry wrote:Also, as of last year I was still calling that big defensive wall 3rd C. Sounds, Kate, like it's assuredly much earlier? Antonine / mid-2nd C?
Antonine/mid-2nd century is the date of the wall. Rampart and ditch may be re-use from a slightly earlier date.
Thanks Kate! Terry's pics this morning really show off that orange/buff Antonine color. They did love that stone didn't they?

Fiona D
Fiona D

April 4th, 2012, 6:32 pm #19

Just to keep all our foreign friends in the weather loop - we've had some crazy weather - Tuesday night & all day today Northern England and some of Midlands have had several inches of snow and strong winds - this has left a lot of roads closed and power cables out in the North East - hopefully not at Vindolanda. Better (more seasonal) weather forecast fore easter weekend, but this may bring Week 1 to an early conclusion... really hope not.

Perhaps everyone is snowed in at Twice Brewed .. not so bad then.

katesf
katesf

April 4th, 2012, 6:45 pm #20

Day 3: A full day's excavation took place today. There was snow on the ground, but wall-to-wall sunshine and a biting northerly wind dried everything up nicely and we made real progress. There may be a road surface showing up in the most westerly trench located to the west of the north/south footpath. Elsewhere some floor/yard and cobbled surfaces and dodgy walls are taking time and effort to clean up. There has been some nice pottery finds today and one or two shards of glass.