15(4%)
59(17%)
60(17%)
41(12%)
21(6%)
6(2%)
4(1%)
9(3%)

You may have seen this great thread on possible directions for the future of excavation at Vindolanda. Following from it, Andy and the WeDig admins had a brief talk and agreed that input and thoughts from WeDig'ers would be very helpful in shaping long-term plans.

The idea is simple: Andy and the Trust are thinking of providing a wider range of opportunities for Vindolanda volunteers. However, everything is a balance between resources, enthusiasm, time, experience, etc. Some changes are already in motion for 2011. But a long-term discussion about what people would like is key to making it happen -- and getting it right.

So as a first step, we've put together a poll of some general "extras" -- things that might be made available in future years. Remember, this is the beginning of a long-term discussion. There is no guarantee that any of these will happen. But it's an effort to take stock and rethink what the Vindolanda experience is and can be. Please take a moment to make your voice heard. And if you wish, please feel free to post any specific thoughts, ideas, concerns. All input is welcome!

You may choose up to 3 items in the poll.

And please don't forget to vote in the second, shorter poll on how you would best like to see this resourced!
Last edited by SacoHarry on October 3rd, 2010, 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 3rd, 2010, 3:01 pm #2

Only 3 votes? Bit limiting isn't it? Perhaps 4 votes, then I could have put in 'behind the scenes in the Museum' as well, seeing as how I suggested something of that ilk to Andy earlier this year.

Conservation and seeing what goes on behind scenes is very important; preserving the object and making it fit for display and knowing what it is in the first place! :D

So if I were lucky enough to have 4, that would be my final answer.

Malise

SacoHarry

October 3rd, 2010, 4:14 pm #3

Yeah, picking a limit number is tricky. It's a balance between giving folks a chance to accurately list their wishes, while also making sure that the data is robust. That is, that the choices are really what people greatly want, rather than what they think would be kinda neat. That said, I'm glad you posted a 4th in the thread! Like I say, the more feedback and input that Andy can get, the better he'll be able to gauge what the community wants.

Lesley
Lesley

October 4th, 2010, 4:24 pm #4

So difficult to choose 3. There were at least 5 I would like! Did manage to make a decision but it was difficult!

Sue Munro

October 4th, 2010, 4:47 pm #5

Likewise I could have picked most of them actually!

georgina

October 4th, 2010, 7:24 pm #6

With you on that Malise, 3 choices are slightly limiting and my 4th would have been behind the scenes at the museum also. As a digger at another location where weekend and day courses + lectures are held it adds enormous value to both the site specifics and location of the dig as well as the general knowledge package of archaeology.

wodenborn

October 4th, 2010, 7:45 pm #7

well it's been a couple of years since I donned the digging clogs and put the trusty trowel into top gear - due I am afraid to ill health...but my interest in Vindolanda indeed the whole Roman frontier zone is undiminished.

most of the topics above are of interest, some have practical applications, for example understanding the processes of deposition aids the identification and excavation of stratigraphy......

Understanding the needs of the conservators makes careful and proper excavation of the artifacts easier to ensure across the site.

Having lecturers in from other sites helps to place Vindolanda into a much broader context and engenders a greater understanding of what the "Romans" were actually up to in the North of Britain - apart from picking on the Britunculi that is.

anything which educates on-site creates a better digger

all sounds very Shanks & Tilley....oh dear...apologies

Chris

emjharding

October 4th, 2010, 8:14 pm #8

This is a really great idea Harry. I was thinking something along these lines myself...that it would be wonderful to have some field school activities. I haven't voted in the second poll yet as I'm not sure how these extras should be funded. On the one hand, a flat fee would take care of everything and people could enrol in whatever course or lecture they liked. On the other hand, such a flat fee might make it all very expensive and put people off. And let's face it, some might fancy just one particular lecture or whatever. Perhaps you could have different options. I'll mull it over a bit longer.

Fiona D
Fiona D

October 4th, 2010, 8:31 pm #9

Hi - posted my reply on resourcing section by mistake - but great idea.

Jackster
Jackster

October 4th, 2010, 8:46 pm #10

I have replied just for myself but 2 of my daughters and my husband also dig.
One of the girls would make the same choices as myself. Can she and the other 2 family members vote as well