Update on Report for '07 Season

MBetz
MBetz

November 25th, 2007, 10:03 pm #1

Hiya Andy and Justin-
How is the report for 2007 shaping up? Is the plan to have it available before next dig season or will it come out as it did in 2007, sometime in May-June? I was hoping it may be a bit earlier since one season is all this report will cover. Any news on the tablets found? I remember that quite a few came from a time in Vindolanda's history that is somewhat sketchy. Here's to hoping one of them gives a unit name or something useful (at least more than a laundry list!).
Matt

brypop
brypop

November 25th, 2007, 11:33 pm #2

Hi Matt, Andy, Justin et al
I was also wondering if there is any news about the tablets and if there is any news about the sheet of bronze which I found this year? Wondered if they managed to extract it from the soil, in the lab?
Looking forward to getting in underneath the lawn next year.
Bryan :)
Last edited by brypop on November 25th, 2007, 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andy
Andy

November 27th, 2007, 8:51 am #3

Hey guys,

Justin will not be releasing a major report this year as he is holding off until next year when he will combine 2007 & 2008. We normally do things biannually, rolling two years excavations in together, hence the 2001 & 2002, 2003 &2004, 2005-2006 reports. Beth and I will be doing a short report on the work from this year and the 2005 excavations to the north, which I hope to made downloadable as a PDF on the new website once it is done. As for when it will be finished, as they say, it is done when it’s done! I am flat out and Beth is in North Carolina but will be over in Feb to do her own research on the Vindo leather. Realistically, I hope to have something out by May.

Apart from this, a brief report will appear in next years Britannia, a summary of the work and finds. This comes out in November (that would be next year), so you will have to hang on until then for that. As for the tablets, I wish I had news on them but I don’t at present. They are just about finished with conservation, and Robin and Tony have not had a chance to get to grips with them yet. The Trust is running flat out trying to secure a Heritage lottery bid and other exciting developments which I can’t let you know about just yet, so it is all hands to the pump at the moment. I will post news on tablets as soon as I get something solid. I will pour a bit of water over this though as the prognosis is not great for most of them, they were mostly stylus tablets. However….. some of these showed signs of writing so we will have to wait and see. Normally it takes 10 years for epigraphers (Bowman and Thomas for example) to get the info out on the tablets, so you guys might have to wait for another couple of months J. The coins are on their way to Durham in the next couple of weeks for the coin report to be compiled so we should at least know what they are sometime in early Feb.

It is frustrating I know, and all of this takes time. The excavations for 2008-2012 have been our main priority this month, and we are now over the 50% mark for that, which is great, but as you are probably aware we have had a nightmare with the website, in particular the excavation booking side. I am pleased to say that this now seems to be completely sorted out. If any of you experience any problems please let us know.

Roll on 2008 and fresh air in the field J.

Andrew
Last edited by Andy on November 27th, 2007, 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

MBetz
MBetz

November 28th, 2007, 7:58 pm #4

Thanks for the quick word Andy. It must be a hectic yet satisfying time right now for the Trust in securing grants and money to make Vindolanda one of the best archaeology sites and centers for Roman archaeology learning/study in Britain. Good luck on the grants and all and don't sweat the reports-no pressure!
Matt

Andy
Andy

November 29th, 2007, 11:06 am #5

Hi Matt,
Cheers for the support.

Alas the money is not secured yet. We have a project, a very very good project, but it remains to be seen if we can secure the funding for it. We will do our best to do this, and I hope that we can continue to move things forward in a positive fashion. I will let everyone know how we get on at an appropriate time.

The museum has a world class collection, what we want to do is give the collection world class interpretation to make it as accessible as possible to as wide an audience as possible. This doesn't mean we are neglecting the other operational aspects of what we do, far from it. So hopefully some news ont he research front will follow soon in the new year.

best,

Andy
Last edited by Andy on November 29th, 2007, 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kate 13
Kate 13

November 29th, 2007, 7:29 pm #6

I second Matt's good wishes Andy and really hope that the Trust secures the funding it needs.

All the best,
Kate. :rolleyes: