The Stanegate milestones

SacoHarry

4:24 AM - Nov 07, 2006 #1

As you may know, Vindolanda is one of the few places in Britain where portions of two consecutive Roman milestones are still in situ and visible. The most impressive lies on the track behind the museum. But the stump of a second is visible near the intersection of the Stanegate with the Once Brewed road. You likely walk/ride/drive by it every day on the way to & from the site.

Into the 19th Century, this milestone stood to its full height, and bore an inscription recorded by Horsley in 1725 as BONO REIPUBLICAE NATO ("To him who was born for the good of the State"). Unfortunately, around 1815 the upper part was broken up and split to make a pair of gateposts!

(Information gathered from Keys to the Past)
Last edited by SacoHarry on 1:37 PM - Nov 07, 2006, edited 1 time in total.

6:59 AM - Feb 22, 2007 #2

Interesting this

Ive been on my usual Mithraic evidence collating and ended up at Escomb church (Escomb church was built in part from stone taken from Binchester Fort) where there was supposed to have been a part of a Mithraic altar built into the wall.....I dont know about the Mithraic connection....but

within the church on a whitewashed stone :

BONO REI PVBLICAE NATO - exactly as your Vindolanda example.

Set on its side and located on the internal North wall, it is part of a window jamb (bottom left stone) of the more easterly Saxon window. .

This inscription was not noticed until June 1969 when a schoolboy from Lanchester pointed it out.

Dated to the reign of Constantine ??

SacoHarry

2:40 AM - Mar 23, 2007 #3

If only the Vindolanda example was still around. It'd be nice to see if the lettering style matched. Is it strange that neither inscription seemed to have any sign of the specific Emperor/official being honored?

I love Escomb church; It's a great side drive for folks looking for something to do in an evening. About an hour's drive SE of Vindolanda. Not too many chances in England to stand inside an intact 1300-year-old building!

- Harry

7:36 AM - Mar 24, 2007 #4

The church at Escomb is indeed interesting....you get the key from a nail at a local house (the details are on a placard at the locked church gates).

the church is a cross between a church and a museum...very informative and interesting..

of course if you were in the area during the day you could try a visit to Binchester Roman fort.....with its remains of a Roman Bath-house in a permanent protective building.

Chris

Hadriana

12:41 PM - Jul 03, 2009 #5

I read recently that the milestone at Vindolanda...the one, standing in the original position to its full height, near Codley Gate Farm..is in "The Guinness Book of Records". Maybe you know this already?