Starry-eyed youth

SacoHarry

11:43 AM - Mar 31, 2009 #1

"Support is invited for one of the largest excavations ever planned in Britain -- one that will uncover the entire settlement outside the gates of the Roman Fort of Vindolanda and... the complete Fourth Century fort as well.... The Trust needs £3000 a year for perhaps ten years if the work is to be completed reasonably quickly."

-- Invitation to join the new Vindolanda Trust, part of the pamphlet "The Nature of the Evidence," copyright 1971.

Little did they know!

ericjacobson

12:52 PM - Mar 31, 2009 #2

£3000? That's about the size of my 'Vindolanda Beer Consumption Budget'.

Sian
Sian

8:54 AM - Apr 04, 2009 #3

Beautiful, just beautiful! Completed in possibly 10 years! I love it!

And as an aside, while helping my Mum and Dad clear out their garage, we happened across a Vindolanda Guide, 1 A4 piece of paper folded in half mentioning the 1986 exhibit! (That makes me only three at my first visit To Vindolanda! :D ) Quite different from the snazzy shiny-papered book you get now! :D

Can't until July!

Siân

SacoHarry

7:20 PM - Apr 04, 2009 #4

Cyan wrote:And as an aside, while helping my Mum and Dad clear out their garage, we happened across a Vindolanda Guide, 1 A4 piece of paper folded in half mentioning the 1986 exhibit! (That makes me only three at my first visit To Vindolanda! :D ) Quite different from the snazzy shiny-papered book you get now!
Too funny! Your future was sealed at 3 1/2.

Do you still have that guide? I'm trying to collect all the various paraphernalia from over the years (*cough* Geek! *cough*). I'd love a scan or a pic of it. It can sit next to my 1973 guidebook lamenting the loss of so much perishable organic material -- which went to press literally weeks before the first of the tablets came up. B)

Sian
Sian

3:26 PM - Apr 05, 2009 #5

Yup! Still got it!

Went straight up on the bookshelf with the rest of the guide books! Hehehe! :D

I'll try and send it too you once I get it scanned if you like! :)

Siân