Session 9

k.murphy

July 28th, 2013, 8:56 pm #1

Updates about the excavations (and everything else) that are happening at Vindolanda

k.murphy

July 28th, 2013, 9:20 pm #2

After months of waiting, I'm finally back at Vindolanda and settled into my room at the Hedley Centre.

The Hedley crew went to check out the site, to see what had changed since we were last here/to see what it was all about if we were new. I can't tell you much about the excavation area, as it is a bit convoluted, but I've taken some pictures for those who are following along (all taken looking east across the excavation). I also tried to take a photo of the excavation area from the top of Barcombe Hill, but there is a tree right in the way!!

Better photos tomorrow once I have some context!
IMG_4036___Copy.jpg
IMG_4034___Copy.jpg
IMG_4033___Copy.jpg
IMG_4032___Copy.jpg
IMG_4023___Copy.jpg
Last edited by k.murphy on July 28th, 2013, 10:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.

k.murphy

July 28th, 2013, 10:19 pm #3

Those of you who excavated with me last year know that I am an avid geocacher. This year, I have launched a few more Roman Soldier travel bugs in the caches around Vindolanda. Here they are before being sent out into the world. Hopefully they visit many Roman sites throughout the Empire!
IMG_4019___Copy.jpg
Last edited by k.murphy on July 29th, 2013, 5:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Badger
Badger

July 28th, 2013, 11:23 pm #4

Appreciate the updates. Agree, the site is a bit hard to sort out with the unaided eye. Ironic that the most recognizable, useful features are the two robber trenches!

Badger

k.murphy

July 29th, 2013, 9:46 pm #5

Excellent start to session 9 today. We made a good start in the morning, and it began raining just before lunch. During lunch break, it started absolutely pouring. We were rained off between lunch and tea, so Dr. Beth Greene gave us an excellent lecture on The Leather Assemblage at Vindolanda. Back out in the trenches after tea, as the sun and a strong breeze had come back to dry out the site.

I'm working in the south west corner of the excavation area, removing the layers above the intervallum road. Mostly pottery, nails and a few bits of animal bone. Most exciting piece was some decorated samian with the figure of a man.

Work is continuing on the road and drain between two of the 3rd century barracks, in the north east corner of the excavation area. People are also working inside some of the barrack rooms.

A small crew is finishing up the work in the north field - they had a lot of bailing to do today.
IMG_4048_2.jpg
IMG_4047_2.jpg
IMG_4043_2.jpg

k.murphy

July 30th, 2013, 11:34 pm #6

Absolutely fantastic day for digging - Blue skies, a few clouds and a breeze. Work continued in the same areas of the fort in the morning. After lunch, my trench mates, Andrew and Lee, and I were moved a bit further north along the intervallum road. We are now working on removing the 4th c. road and exposing the 3rd c. road and drain. Lots of pottery, animal bone, and a few bits of glass. The Staff of Recognition is being put to good use in various areas.

The Hedley Centre crew also participated in the Twicey pub quiz, and, after coming through the joker cards unscathed, won third prize!

Photo 1 & 2: new trench before and after today's work
Photo 3: Third prize in the Twicey pub quiz
IMG_4069_2.jpg
IMG_4066_2.jpg
IMG_4063_2.jpg

Badger
Badger

July 31st, 2013, 2:01 am #7

was that last one the Twicey Quiz Prizes? If so, Brian has gone posh for you mid summer diggers!

Badger

snowglobe

July 31st, 2013, 3:24 pm #8

Happy days, a great series of photos from K. Murphy. I called by yesterday in fantastic weather. Here's a few I took to add to the mix.

Looking East at the subsided levels, possible ditch?

Work still continuing along the fence

Excavating along the intervallum road

Looking south along the intervallum road

Looking east along the central part of the dig

For excavators from previous weeks who lie awake wondering what happened to the spoil heap!

The north field. A complex view.

Beth in the north field, interesting area of burning (left centre)

Last edited by snowglobe on July 31st, 2013, 3:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.

snowglobe

July 31st, 2013, 3:58 pm #9

Well done to the pub quiz crew great prize.
A view of Brian deducting points for arguing, I wonder if the chap at the bar won his boxer shorts in a pervious quiz & wanted to show them off!

A view of the Vallum below Winshields, a short walk from the Twice Brewed.
Last edited by snowglobe on July 31st, 2013, 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

k.murphy

July 31st, 2013, 7:40 pm #10

Thanks for the visit yesterday, and the photos, snowglobe!

Another sunny day for digging, but it did get almost too hot after lunch. Lots of finds around the site, including a lovely piece of decorated and stamped samian from the road running between the two 3rd c. barrack blocks.
IMG_4079_2.jpg
IMG_4076_2.jpg
IMG_4074_2.jpg
IMG_4072_2.jpg