Session 7

snowglobe

June 30th, 2013, 8:31 pm #1

After a weeks break in excavations the fresh faced new diggers are ready with trowels and hopefully cameras poised. The spoil heap within the fort has been moved over the last few days. Here's to more dry weather.

SacoHarry

July 2nd, 2013, 1:58 pm #2

Opening the week with an amazing peek & overview of the wattle-and-daub timber buildings found deep in the vicus layers: http://vindolanda.blogspot.com/2013/07/ ... l?spref=fb

snowglobe

July 2nd, 2013, 2:42 pm #3

A great blog this week from Andy (see above) below is a 190* shot of the Vicus

Click here for Vicus 190* view

Don't forget the "like"button on the bottom of the posts it lets us know contributors are appreciated.
Last edited by snowglobe on July 2nd, 2013, 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fiona D
Fiona D

July 2nd, 2013, 8:17 pm #4

Have we any idea whether David's horse skull from the large ditch near these structures was contemporary with them?

SacoHarry

July 6th, 2013, 2:43 pm #5

Another terrific update from Justin on the end of Week 13 here!

All the voussoir stones reused as flooring go back to an idea I had a couple years back. There's talk that Vindolanda's bath-house was still standing -- or at least one roof was -- as late as the 17th/18th Centuries. I've always found that unlikely. 5th/6th Century Vindolanda was a tiny concentrated speck of "civilization" huddled inside crumbling walls, with lawlessness outside. (A lot of that lawlessness would have consisted of raids from well-armed rabble at other post-Roman fortlets.) It seems hard to believe that the head of 5th C Vindolanda would let an outbuilding like the bath-house stand, where an enemy could hide behind its walls or use it strategically within downhill arrowshot of the fort. I've always imagined that by that time, it had been leveled, at least enough not to pose a threat.

Any thoughts from others on whether the voussoir stones shed any light -- and what that light is?
Last edited by SacoHarry on July 6th, 2013, 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 7th, 2013, 10:35 am #6

Just FYI, Justin-T has blogged some updates from this weeks excavation here - Digging Vindolanda

SacoHarry

July 7th, 2013, 5:47 pm #7

Thanks for the link Sunny!

Also, in fighting the mid-season WeDig lull, take a look at the amazing write-up on the Western Classical Studies page of the pre-Hadrianic wooden/organic remains found in the vicus: http://westernclassicalstudies.wordpres ... nic-vicus/

NicC
NicC

July 8th, 2013, 5:07 pm #8

mooseandhobbes - don't do bloggs. Neither do I. Why should I when we have this resource available for diggers to post their reports and pics on?! Sure, have a blog - but cut and paste it to here (or from here).

July 8th, 2013, 5:36 pm #9

NicC wrote:mooseandhobbes - don't do bloggs. Neither do I. Why should I when we have this resource available for diggers to post their reports and pics on?! Sure, have a blog - but cut and paste it to here (or from here).
NicC- my blog (which is developing a life of its own) is nothing to do with Vindolanda. I was merely flagging up Justin-T's blog reports.
Where he chooses to write up his dig reports is his choice.

SacoHarry

July 8th, 2013, 5:39 pm #10

Justin-T has kindly permitted reprinting of his blog material here on WeDig. His is a great site, and I highly recommend visiting it for the day-to-day. Below is a good sample of what he's putting up. This from last Thursday:

"We had drizzly rain on and off all day, only becoming dry in late afternoon. A heavier spell of drenching rain came at 10:30, leading to a retreat to the tea hut and a decision being made to take an early lunch and restart at noon. In the end we only lost half an hour of digging overall, by putting in a long post-lunch session from noon to 2:30.

It was largely uneventful day, with the trench looking more and more rocky everywhere, but with few easily-determined features appearing. One exception was the linear jumble of rock at the western end, which continues to look like a collapsed wall, and the massive stones at the eastern end seem as if they might be part of the intervallum road (although seem slightly out of alignment for that). Here's a view of the eastern end and the massive stones there; if you look carefully you can also see two large fragments of a pot lying trapped in beneath some smaller rocks in the foreground:

Here's a view of my slice standing at the southern end of the trench, beginning to reveal a jumble of stones (foreground) rather than the back wall that Andy and Justin were hoping/expecting to find:

"