SacoHarry

July 8th, 2013, 5:41 pm #11

(For what it's worth, there's a good argument for folks blogging here on WeDig, and for blogging on their own sites where they have control over look & feel. I'm -thrilled- for anyone that posts here, links here, or permits pics/thoughts to go here. I think WeDig has become a really good meeting-ground for diggers to see what's going on. And I'm happy to help cater to individual preferences & to be a clearinghouse of links for people to go to.)

SacoHarry

July 8th, 2013, 10:12 pm #12

Excerpt from Justin-T's blog today:

"By around 10:30 the sun had completely burned the fog away, leaving us with the hottest digging day yet, probably close to 25C, 80F, with only a slight breeze to cool us down. Sean and I attacked the pile of robber-reject rubble with mattocks, hoping to reach the southern end of the trench by lunchtime. We didn't quite make it, but reached our goal shortly after the resumption. We both still had rubble below us, so Kate and Justin had us move back to the likely northern limit of the robber trench and push lower, hopefully into the last undisturbed level beneath the rubble....

Here's a sampling of the days winnings, a fairly large fragment of Samian ware (top left, thin orangey-red with a distinctive shiny glaze), a piece of sheep/pig (?) bone, a nail and Sean's piece of glass on top of a piece of tile:

"

Full post available here!
Last edited by SacoHarry on July 8th, 2013, 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SacoHarry

July 12th, 2013, 4:24 pm #13

The latest official video blog for the end of session 7. 3rd C foundations, 5th C floors, and another (ancient?) robber trench!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2TSuw2uQXI

Rosie
Rosie

July 15th, 2013, 8:36 pm #14

Found this lovely tile with Animal print (cat I think) in north field in trench next to kiln.
image.jpg

Badger
Badger

July 15th, 2013, 10:36 pm #15

Rosie
My vote is dog. It looks as if there are claw marks adjacent to a couple of the toe prints. Cats, other than very annoyed ones, keep the claws sheathed. And the print looks a bit deep, most dogs are heavier than most cats.
I could be wrong of course.
Badger

Fiona D
Fiona D

July 21st, 2013, 1:57 pm #16

Rosie - definitely dog I think - I washed this find last week. From the same area - maybe also found by you - two pieces of pottery with scratched lines of cursive lettering, that joined up! Very exciting find - all archaeologists very pleased with it. The lettering did look like decoration until washed when it became more obvious that it was writing. No word on text as yet, letters missing I think.

July 21st, 2013, 2:36 pm #17

I had one of these in May and it was diagnosed as 'cat' by Andy....looks similar to yours. :D

cat_pawprint.May._2013.jpg

Badger
Badger

July 21st, 2013, 4:51 pm #18

Malise

I of course can't see it first hand, but with available view I see no claw/toenail marks on this one. So yes, cat. I still think the other was dog. Size does not help, there might have been the equivalent of miniature "accessory" dogs for fashionable ladies of the Roman era! And I hate to think of how big and scary feral cats would have been back then. :unsure:

btw, it also looks like the heel of a bootprint in the lower left corner....

Badger

July 21st, 2013, 9:55 pm #19

Wellll ..... I didn't like to argue with the Site Director when I spotted mine in the tray, after all, he's seen far more pawprints than either of us have probably had hot dinners. And, remember, he wasn't looking at a photograph, he had it in his hand. 'Cat' is definitely what he said about mine and what I photographed and then wrote in my personal records.

Looking again at the other one, yes, probably 'dog', although it might have had very hairy feet (just looked at my dog's feet and she does have very hairy feet! LOL)

Last edited by Malise McGuire on July 21st, 2013, 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.