SacoHarry

June 4th, 2013, 2:53 pm #11

Looking at Justin's great Twitter photo of the robber trench: https://twitter.com/LucoAD99/status/341 ... 48/photo/1

Doesn't that look an awful lot like a house/cottage footprint? Are there any post-holes or post-Reformation pottery coming out of there? Or is it just a random, square, dug-out hole?

Badger
Badger

June 4th, 2013, 3:47 pm #12

I had a similar puzzlement. The stones all around it look to be of highly variable quality, yet the robber trench seems to be pretty well cleaned up. Or did the excavators indeed have to pick out all the crummy bits of rubble? But to imagine a cottage there? Hard to see it. Later buildings just got plopped down amidst whatever. Probably a layer of dirt to make the floor level.

A less appealing notion....maybe this was robbed out because it was a largely intact Roman building.....

Badger

CutandFill

June 4th, 2013, 4:38 pm #13

Some more photos for you all, including one taken from the top of Barcombe over the weekend. I'm afraid I've no idea what's going on in there as like I said, I'm digging up near the excavator's hut. However one person digging there has just come into my room and said there are no post-holes in the robber trench. Very few huge stones in there but constant mattocking due to smaller stones.
012.jpg
011.jpg
010.jpg
09.jpg
00_fort_barcombe.jpg
Last edited by CutandFill on June 4th, 2013, 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Badger
Badger

June 4th, 2013, 6:32 pm #14

Nice view from Barcomb, thanks for posting it.

It looks from afar as if the goal of one layer down on the entire SE quadrant is on target. The spoil heap will be moving in the forseeable future but the overall situation looks to be "half way done and half the time gone". A far cry from last year....

If there were random rocks and rubble in the Great Robber Trench I suppose we may assume diligent stone robbers in the last couple hundred years.

Badger