Session 3

snowglobe

2:37 PM - Apr 28, 2013 #1

Another session and entering May, the weather is looking fine for the start of these two weeks lets hope the weather gods stay in good cheer. Two thirds of Wedig admin are encamped in the twice Brewed this session! We hope live up to the amazing effort put in by the pervious weeks.

Claire_M

4:29 PM - Apr 28, 2013 #2

Yay, am enjoying reading the forum (have things I should be doing, you see) so good to know there will be more archaeology to see :D

Badger
Badger

8:53 PM - Apr 28, 2013 #3

Weather report for Sunday, 28 April

Janus the two headed god for a day of sun and rain and wind. Forecast augeries are favorable.

Badger

Badger
Badger

6:26 AM - Apr 29, 2013 #4

Mostly just playing around with ways to upload photos from a tablet based system....a new experience for me. Here is a snap from yesterday's brief recon of the site.

It is yet another example of the myriad ways that mudstone can try to deceive. I was sure at first glance that this was some sort of lead pipe.

Badger
waiting for breakfast

snowglobe

5:48 PM - Apr 29, 2013 #5

A blustery day but mainly sunny if cold, major deturfing underway only interrupted by heavy hailstones for 10 minutes.

The east wall seems like the best place to shelter

Last edited by snowglobe on 6:08 PM - Apr 29, 2013, edited 2 times in total.

Badger
Badger

6:48 PM - Apr 29, 2013 #6

Lots of deturfing going on today, but Snowglobe and I were detailed to investigate an area apparently explored by antiquaries in the early 1800s. Their trench made its way up towards the Stone fort II wall near the East gate. There were a few finds, I guess the 1830's workmen and their supervisors were less interested in things like rampart contruction and late roman reuse. Right near the fort wall we found a series of wooden objects. Old, but certainly not Roman in a level where anaerobic preservation is not possible. Eventually Snowglobe removed one...

No, not an implausibly intact ballista bolt. It seems to be a huge tent stake whittled from a sapling. It might have held up some kind of tarp.

In a probable 4th century wall is this worked stone. Not an altar it may have held painted plaster for decorative purposes.

And finally the reappearance of a venerable Vindolanda artifact....

Of course I meant the Boston Red Sox hat - seen for many seasons now - not its wearer the ever young Anthea!

Badger
Last edited by Badger on 10:04 PM - Apr 29, 2013, edited 2 times in total.

7:12 PM - Apr 29, 2013 #7

Another title for "the east wall seems like the best place to shelter" could also be '...A Bad Day at the Office' :-))

Terry S
Terry S

9:41 PM - Apr 29, 2013 #8

Hi Pete,
A few of us were digging at Benwell (Condercum - a fort on Hadrian's Wall, to the west of Newcastle) today and also experienced YOUR sleety downpour. Judging by your (excellent) photo, you came off worse. Dramatic stuff! Rest of the week looks good.
Regards,
T

snowglobe

10:03 PM - Apr 29, 2013 #9

More from today to show that it was a sunny day most of the time
Deturfing

Removing the fill from the antiquarian trench on the east wall

A post hole within the flagged floor

snowglobe

6:30 AM - Apr 30, 2013 #10

Looks like its going to be a great day, the wall at Peel Crag with the Vallum in the foreground