snowglobe

April 30th, 2013, 5:16 pm #11

Wow what a great warm sunny spring day, workers happy in the sun. No deturfing today with plenty of trowel work in progress.
Photos to follow , swatting up for the twice Brewed pub quiz tonight.

Badger
Badger

April 30th, 2013, 6:47 pm #12

Note: for those interested a slightly different take on the diggings, for my non archeology friends back home, usually appears daily at Detritus of Empire

Snowglobe and I are troweling through what should be the intervallum road. But it appears to have a flagged surface in places and a lot of dark, murky soil. One wonders just what the late Romans had squishing around their toesies!

A few finds popped up, nothing fab but stuff that amuses me at least.

A (?) sheep jaw laying in the muck.

And another find from the rampart area...

It amazes me how precise Samian ware construction really is, and how pristine it can look even from higher layers.

Various things turning up elsewhere on the site, more on the order of walls and flags, other than a bead and another arrow head not much for small finds.

Late in the day Brinno our Dutch colleague got into quite a batch of tile and amphora fragments. Incidentally he is paired with a chap named Richie whose Geordie accent is so dense that we have observed that there appears to have been a purposeful effort to team up the two diggers who really did not speak English!*

*disclaimer, Brinno speaks rather good English. We are hoping he teaches Richie some Dutch, it would be an upgrade.

Badger
Last edited by Badger on April 30th, 2013, 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

snowglobe

April 30th, 2013, 6:56 pm #13

Following on from Badgers post a photo of said diggers

An overview of the site this afternoon

The sun is out

Justin giving a site talk with 3 translators!

Walls everywhere and more appearing

The area of the intervallum road and rampart with interesting paved section the robber trench runs from the fort wall across the road in the photo centre

Badger today not himself!

Last edited by snowglobe on April 30th, 2013, 7:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

snowglobe

April 30th, 2013, 10:34 pm #14

The Tuesday Pub Quiz in the Twice brewed once again was a cuel mix of difficult questions & other teams playing the dreaded joker card which chopped our points in half however one Vindolanda team did win through, there's always next week.

CutandFill

May 1st, 2013, 12:45 am #15

snowglobe wrote:
This appears to be a prediction of what future archaeologists will look like; extendable necks in order to be able to examine the ground closely without breaking their backs from bending over all the time.

Excellent pictures as usual, thanks :)

SacoHarry

May 1st, 2013, 2:18 am #16

Loving it! The Badger picture will haunt my nightmares for much time to come.

Badger
Badger

May 1st, 2013, 4:44 pm #17

Good weather today and steady progress in the upper layers of the site. A few small finds here and there, pot lids, a bit of bronze from a scabbard.

One remarkable thing about excavating at Vindolanda is the variety of people you meet. At the Twice Brewed this morning Pete and I had a conversation with an American oil field worker who came all the way over to see the wall and to visit a whiskey festival up in Scotland. He is, and almost certainly will ever remain, the only person I have even met from Deadhorse, Alaska.

But I topped that by about 9am. Walking up to the site I mentioned to one of the diggers that I was having difficulty placing her accent. Well, it turns out she is from a family that left China ahead of Mao, moved to India, then to Yemen where she was born. Later linguistic embellishments came from living in London and working for an American company with a large operation in my home state of Wisconsin. Oh, and she was educated by Italian nuns......

Snowglobe will post a few pictures by and by. Hopefully less disorienting than the blurred stop motion panorama of yesterday. I am feeling great, no aches and pains to speak of. But nobody is THAT flexible.

Badger
Last edited by Badger on May 1st, 2013, 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snowglobe

May 1st, 2013, 10:10 pm #18

A great sunny day with the slightest spot of rain to spoil the day.

A joy to work in the sun, plenty of walls and features coming to light

Tea and Biscuits

King of the spoil heap, policing the heap

snowglobe

May 2nd, 2013, 7:26 pm #19

Plenty of hard work again today with plenty of sun to spur us on, the site continues to show more Interesting features. The BBC TV programme "Escape to the Country"
descended on the site this afternoon.

Ian choosing his Wheelbarrow

Pierre and Richie troweling

Our newest wedig member Ella

Is automated digging the future?

Liz and Badger discuss trench activity

Last edited by snowglobe on May 2nd, 2013, 9:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Badger
Badger

May 3rd, 2013, 5:58 am #20

Our weather yesterday.....

I don't have any pictures as good as Snowglobes!

A busy day on site Thursday. There was a nest of activity where the TV crew was working. I am told this is one of those "buy your dream house" programs. Vindolanda was featured as an enticing local attraction. I do hope the eager young couple did not cast eyes upon the Praetorium behind them and think "Oh my, quite the fixer upper".

Another focus of activity at the trench of a first time digger. Always, always the first time digger. Keep an eye on Justin's tweets in days ahead...

Forecast for today, alas.....

(ducks and dwarves from a mosaic found in Turkey)

Badger