Session 3.1

Badger
Badger

May 5th, 2013, 5:45 pm #1

As session three seems to be documented in great detail we shall break the weeks into two parts so as to lessen the scrolling required.

Badger and Snowglobe

snowglobe

May 6th, 2013, 6:11 pm #2

A cloudy start but the day came good with a great warm sunny afternoon, more de turfing underway and features being defined
See today's end of day 360 photo, feedback seems to be good.
May 5th 360 photo

snowglobe

May 6th, 2013, 6:39 pm #3

Photos of today
Happy diggers in the sun, the walls seem to be subsiding in the right hand side of the photo

Flagged floors and walls everywhere

Paul taking the surface down with care

A well earned tea break

The barrow run

The water tank found in 2012 about to be put to use again
Last edited by snowglobe on May 6th, 2013, 9:39 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Badger
Badger

May 6th, 2013, 7:36 pm #4

As the above pix show, high skies and spirits on site today. Small finds popping up, usually in the trench of our Dutch colleague! I think the supervisors eventually just gave up and locked the survey range finder on his coordinates.

Floors and walls diving mysteriously.

Personally I spent the day chasing a floor into the depths. My only amusement of the day...

Here is a small find from last year. Made of lead it was probably a pattern for casting bronze versions as good luck charms...

And today another find. A striking image but made of stone. No artifact this, but a superb example of a naturally formed "mudstone willy"!

Badger

snowglobe

May 7th, 2013, 4:49 pm #5

Another hot sunny day on site, work continues a pace, a film crew form Sky came to film today pictures later, till then a 360 photo to view

Vindolanda 360 7th May

Yua being interviewed by Sky and Holly

Our star digger being filmed, can't remember seeing such a well dressed camera operator!

Looking east at the walls
Last edited by snowglobe on May 7th, 2013, 5:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

NicC
NicC

May 7th, 2013, 5:19 pm #6

Hmmm, cannot see today's 360 even after installing Silverlight. Could see the previous 2 but on a different machine.

Badger
Badger

May 7th, 2013, 5:25 pm #7

Sol Invictus reigned Supreme on site today. In six seasons of digging this time of year today was the first day I walked down the Stanegate in the morning in a t-shirt!

The sun and warmth made for some fascinating headgear choices.

The classic Indiana Jones...

A dapper Snowglobe in Foriegn Legionaire garb.

And an enigmatic muscular fellow channeling Lawrence of Arabia!

Various things popping up around the site...I seem to have a bit of stone column dumped in the saggy portion of my floor.

Badger
Last edited by Badger on May 7th, 2013, 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fiona D
Fiona D

May 7th, 2013, 9:54 pm #8

Great shots as always thanks Pete and Badger - Is that a return finally on the great wall?

Just looking back at a couple of last years weather - thought it might remind and compare with conditions a year ago.

Happy Digging.
Horse_skull_from_ditch_May12.jpg
Northumberland_053__640x480_.jpg
Tyne_at_Haydon_Bridge_May12__2_.jpg

snowglobe

May 7th, 2013, 10:45 pm #9

As regular excavators know the Twice Brewed Pub is officially the holder of the worst pub quiz in England and possibly everywhere else? Tonight due to a tragic accident another team failed to win and "Team Brian" forged ahead the win the star prize of a Peter and the Wolf LP (the special beer stained addition)

Fiona D
Fiona D

May 8th, 2013, 7:28 pm #10

What I want to know is who gets the Peter & the Wolf LP? How is the selection made? Hopefully a good Roman system was employed.