Session 10

SacoHarry

August 12th, 2013, 2:55 pm #1

Placeholder for the mid-August crew. What's happening??

Justin-T

August 16th, 2013, 6:56 pm #2

All quiet on the Western Northern Front I guess...

Cestrian

August 16th, 2013, 8:08 pm #3

Not only no reports from the diggers, but no twittering from Justin this week. Strange!

sarcanon

August 16th, 2013, 8:45 pm #4

According to the Roll Call for this session, Malise McGuire, MissClareCharlotte are there this week and next.

Perhaps someone can PM them and try to guilt them into a report or photo or two.

snowglobe

August 17th, 2013, 7:35 am #5

It may be Justin is on Holiday? I may visit the site this week if time allows. The best photos are from those excavating as the work is now far inside the visitors fence although some areas are being worked on near the north side of the excavation area. The flagged floor in Justin's tweets was quite hard to see from the fence.

Cestrian

August 22nd, 2013, 8:58 pm #6

A fortnight's session nearly over and not one photo or tweet. Very mysterious. Have they found something special they want to keep quiet about?

snowglobe

August 23rd, 2013, 3:01 pm #7

Andy has just posted the new Vindolanda blog video, some fantastic features appearing
Click to view

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_vagf_CPn8&sns=em

I'm hoping to visit the site on Tuesday so will add photos soon unless anyone on site has any to post?
Last edited by snowglobe on August 23rd, 2013, 3:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Justin-T

August 24th, 2013, 2:50 am #8

Wow, a lot has indeed happened in two weeks, amazing progress.

After looking at the video a second time I'm struck by how different the southeast part appears, with respect to the huge slabs that have been used as a floor. The line of those now seem to form a much longer diagonal, pushing much further in a northwesterly direction. Perhaps they made a new building that avoided the slumping areas Andy points out? Also intriguing to see that this "diagonal building" (if that's what it is) seems to end at the large circular, boulder filled pit. Some very interesting stuff going on, as always.
Last edited by Justin-T on August 24th, 2013, 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 24th, 2013, 10:24 pm #9

Signing in.

No photos from me because I didn't get to see the excavations much, only when on errands such as 'is this graffiti?', or, 'are there any polythene bags spare' to put the nicely counted, weighed, packaged washed potsherds, nails, bricks, mortaria, amphora, Coarse ware, Black Burnished and Fine ware, and when you are doing all the counting and weighing and etc, and helping the pot washers do their job as well, it doesn't leave much time or energy to report on what's going on! :-))

In order to drain the round house area the pump was set to work and the aqueduct was in action again on Friday afternoon.

Justin was on Holiday for the fortnight - in Crete, lucky thing!

Malise