SacoHarry

8:47 PM - Apr 02, 2013 #11

Some pics from today's update by Terry. Says Pauline, "Here's the latest from our man at the front. Terry wore his shorts today in true intrepid style and though the weather was cold there was no snow. I've told him to make sure he gets a photo of himself in said shorts tomorrow as he's noted for wearing them. Anthea always wears hers too. It's early days trowelling but stones are appearing that Andy thinks may be a wall. Everyone very enthusiastic and keen to do more tomorrow. Weather forecast for next week is for an improvement."

More, and larger, photos from this album.
Last edited by SacoHarry on 8:48 PM - Apr 02, 2013, edited 1 time in total.

Terry S
Terry S

8:52 PM - Apr 02, 2013 #12

For those who like to know these things; this year's T-shirt is a beige/cream number, with a fetching green circle on the back, bearing the Vindolanda 1800 years (213-2013) anniversary logo in classic white. A collectors item!

Badger
Badger

9:31 PM - Apr 02, 2013 #13

The site looks so clean and tidy....no loose dirt anywhere. No mud, no pools of water... I would take crisp and clear any day.
Looks in yesterday's shots as if Anthea has lost her Red Sox hat!

Badger

bishpt
bishpt

7:21 AM - Apr 03, 2013 #14

The site looks really good and I only have to wait 6 weeks so hope the weather holds for awhile.
I know you have to watch what is mentioned on this site but is there any information on finds so far? Beads, pottey, glass etc.
I would be interested in how productive the area is looking at such an early stage.

SacoHarry

11:10 AM - Apr 03, 2013 #15

Andy says that by Monday afternoon they'd already found 4th C pottery, nails, glass, and other Roman debris. This area was buzzing with life for probably 250+ years straight, I'll bet it's choc-a-bloc.

SacoHarry

11:29 AM - Apr 04, 2013 #16

Wednesday's round from Terry! Terry & Pauline write: " Today's batch is action shots showing busy diggers. Bright and sunny all day though still a hint of cold in the air. 5 whetstones found."

And last but not least, Terry in shorts. :)

Full set: http://opa.cig2.canon-europe.com/s/m/H3txRKWwHpz

snowglobe

12:04 PM - Apr 04, 2013 #17

Great photos Pauline, we may have found our "Mr Vindolanda" for April. Great one of Terry. Thanks for posting Harry.

SacoHarry

11:23 PM - Apr 04, 2013 #18

More fab photos this evening from Terry & Pauline for Thursday, Day 4. Pauline writes: "A deceptively bright day when diggers got stuck in and trowelled away in very cold weather. That north east wind is still hanging around here though it hasn't put off the stalwart crew. Terry has helped to clear stones away from the surface and reports the usual types of find were made today. This year there is a "housekeeping rota" for the two weeks of digging. A different pair of diggers cleans and tidies the hut at the end of each day while another pair checks that the toolshed's tidy with all tools being clean and ready for the next day's work. By the end of Week 2 each pair will have done both these jobs."

This next one shows a beautiful N/S wall starting to show up under the pile of rubble in the middle of the trench:

Much progress in just a few days!

More & bigger pics here: http://opa.cig2.canon-europe.com/s/m/Hk2rTANcWwF. Many thanks as always for the great shots & updates!

Badger
Badger

1:59 AM - Apr 05, 2013 #19

Regards the previous question on whetstones..

WeDig generally tries to steer clear of too much speculation. That is the job of Andrew and Justin.

But whetstones as an artifact would seem to be fairly non specific. Auxilliaries needed to sharpen swords. Women needed to sharpen kitchen knives. If there were post roman Dark Agers living on site they lost lots of technology but still were sharpening weapons.

So less helpful than some other artifacts in terms of establishing use and dates one would think....

Badger

ps does the Hut Detail also have to stock crackers and tea?

SacoHarry

1:17 PM - Apr 05, 2013 #20

With Week 1 winding down, Justin has posted a nice write-up of the findings so far: http://vindolanda.blogspot.com/2013/04/ ... -2013.html