Revenue brainstorm

SacoHarry

December 22nd, 2007, 4:53 pm #1

So after the HLF disappointment, the question becomes "what next?" I personally am a fan of the Trust's vision of where it wants to go. And it has, no doubt, a top-notch group of advisors already working the problem.

But it seems this community & this forum are about a grass-roots passion for a place that we love. I'd like to think that we also have some energy and some ideas. Maybe the answer won't come from one big top-down injection, but lots of small things that individuals can do to bring in little here, a little there.

So I decided to start this post where people can throw out ideas, brainstorm, whatever. What do -you- think Vindolanda can do to raise revenue and stay focused on what it does well? Let 'em know here!

Nothing's too outlandish, everything's worth at least a look. With a little luck we might be able to put together some ideas that the Trust can actually move forward. I'll start with a couple, and we'll see what happens.
Last edited by SacoHarry on December 22nd, 2007, 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SacoHarry

December 22nd, 2007, 5:04 pm #2

The first idea I had was one that I've noodled for a couple years: "Adopt-a-Shoe." "Adopt-an-X" works well for all sorts of projects in the U.S. Why not the UK?

The idea is simple. Robin said once that conserving each leather shoe found at Vindolanda costs something like £30-40. Why not offset that cost by offering a chance for visitors to "adopt" a shoe. The charge could be whatever the Trust thinks reasonable.

An adoptee would get a picture of a shoe that's been uncovered, a basic description of the shoe & who would have worn it, a pamphlet on the basics involved in excavating & conserving, a picture or two of it in conservation, and then a picture of it after final conservation along with an official certificate of appreciation. Maybe at the end of each year there could be an additional raffle for £10 or so. If you win the raffle your shoe gets displayed in the museum for the next year.

Personally, I'd -love- to have a chance to do this. Visitors always seem amazed to see an actual 1900-year-old shoe come out of the ground. Anybody else think this one has legs?
Last edited by SacoHarry on December 22nd, 2007, 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SacoHarry

December 22nd, 2007, 5:14 pm #3

Another thought: simple, tri-fold pamphlets on various aspects of Vindolanda: the visible ruins, the buried ruins, the Wall in general, the frontier, the Roman army, civilian life, current excavations, past excavations, conservation, etc. All available at the front ticket office. (Not having been there this year, maybe these are now being offered? Didn't see any in 2006.)

As exceptional as the museum is, the visible remains can be a bit cryptic. The souvenir guidebook is a nice overview and, well, souvenir. But I'll bet that lots of people would like to have a deeper knowledge of what they're seeing.

It doesn't have to be fancy. Just a black & white tri-fold sheet of A4 paperstock for each topic. Printing cost, about a penny. Sell each pamphlet for a pound, maybe a discount on buying the whole set.

I'm sure there are people here (myself included) who would gladly devote time to creating & proofreading such a pamphlet.

Will it make a mint? Probably not. But will it bring in more revenue while expanding people's experiences of the site? Definitely!

Duncan
Duncan

December 23rd, 2007, 12:48 pm #4

What about personalised tours of the site?. For a little extra admission you get a guide ( a Friend perhaps) to take visitors around and explain the history and archaeology of the site. Probably better to prebook, but could run tours at set times of day or week.
Xmas_2007_Picture_SM.jpg

Sue Munro

January 8th, 2008, 9:04 pm #5

I like all the ideas so far suggested and have been thinking about another 'adoption' idea. Our local'band' the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra have some players 'sponsored' by individuals, companies, bequests, etc. Would there be any future in sponsoring Vindolanda staff or encouraging universities to sponsor students?
Just a thought.
;)

SacoHarry

January 9th, 2008, 7:35 pm #6

Sponsor-an-Archaeologist! Brilliant! Of course, what happens if Justin gets twice the sponsors as Andy? Will there be an Area A vs. Area B throwdown? (Which I'd actually probably drop a tenner to see.)

Sue Munro

January 10th, 2008, 8:11 pm #7

I din't think of that - could be intriguing!!
Another random thought - what about the many supportes who are not physically able to excavate, don't live locally and really want to give something more to The Trust, i.e. time?
Is there any way of involving them in some type of scheme like us diggers, where they pay for the pivliege of carrying out a less physical activity? :blink:

Duncan
Duncan

January 13th, 2008, 12:46 pm #8

Perhaps non local friends could be involved in re cataloging any items that are curently recorded on hard copy - transcribing to electronic etc.

Duncan

brypop
brypop

January 13th, 2008, 4:45 pm #9

How about getting people and schools to sponser finds or groups of finds? They could be given a short description of the item and a postcard/photograph and be updated on progress with its conservation etc.
Bryan

Sue Munro

January 17th, 2008, 8:02 pm #10

As a peripatetic music teacher visiting 14 schools or thereabouts, I've noticed that many Key Stage 2 children do history topics on Ancient Greece and Rome. Could be nice to take advantage of their interest and develop it further with more tangible finds that they feel a sense of ownership for.
In one of my schools last year, the teacher was putting up some photos on their Roman display wall and I couldn't help but notice pictures of Vindolanda where one of the children had visited during the summer. The pupil was really excited to find that not only had I visited Vindolanda, but had worked on the dig!