Post-Roman Christianity at Vindolanda

SacoHarry

October 9th, 2006, 3:21 pm #1

So I'm curious about what was going on after the Romans left. Was this Christian community directly descended from the Christianity that existed while the Romans ruled? Or was it the Irish/Celtic kind that only came back into Northumbria a century later, after the Angles had swept through and paganised the land for a while?

Are the two distinct in archaeology?

- Harry
2006_174.jpg
2006_174.jpg

Chris
Chris

October 25th, 2006, 1:38 pm #2

Hi Harry,
A good book which includes this topic is "Britain and the End of The Roman Empire". The Author is Ken Dark and it is published by Tempus in both England and the US. The paperback is $29.99 and is up to date as it is possible to get without going to primaty sources. I have just been re-reading my copy as part of a course I am taking at Liverpool University.

PS I like the site. Well done for getting it up and running

Chris Wood

ericjacobson

November 1st, 2006, 12:22 pm #3

Hi Harry:

Another good one:

The Age of Arthur, John Morris, Phoenix Press, 2001.

http://www.amazon.com/Age-Arthur-Histor ... 1842124773

Provides a good overview circa 410-680; the time when the author considers the Germanic expansion to be essentially complete.

Andy
Andy

November 13th, 2006, 3:02 pm #4

Post Roman community at Vindolanda probably a mixture of the descendants of the last garrison and the bunch that followed Brigomaglos to Vindolanda in the 5th century. Church probably Arian in faith, it points the wrong way, but they did not seem to mind. Arianism is something of a national faith for many of the Germanic peoples who inhabited the late Roman Empire, and as we have Frisian ware form Vindolanda and Housesteads, it is likely that these are our bods as well. Other than that we do have a portable Christian Alter, a cross on a wall stone from this year, and all manner of other small objects that suggest quite an active Christian warrior war-band at Vindolanda in the 5th century. Who put them at Vindolanda and what for? That is another question entirely ļ

Andy

P.S. Dr Neil Christie is working on a New Religion in late Roman Britain book, so watch this space.
Last edited by Andy on November 13th, 2006, 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.