Forum rules
Share with care! Please keep in mind that this forum is a public venue. Admins and Vindolanda staff reserve the right to edit and/or delete postings that might tempt looters, robbers, and other unsavory sorts.

Pictures!!!

MBetz
MBetz

August 16th, 2007, 9:16 pm #1

Hey all you volunteers, where are the pictures of the dig from when you were there? How about a few shots of each area to see how they have developed in the last few weeks. Come on you second half volunteers, get crackin' on those pictures. And add in how the dig went for you. Did you find what you were looking for?! There has to be more writing tablets discovered in the last 6-8 weeks. How about any inscriptions or cool pottery decoration? Give a "Colonist" some love!
Matt
Week_18.jpg
Week_18.jpg

Andy
Andy

August 19th, 2007, 4:23 pm #2

Hi Matt,

I try and try to encourage them, but they are very shy our excavators. Still, give me a couple of days and I'll get some pics up for you. Incidently, the fort wall north turn (Antonine) has been completely destroyed (thus far) by our Roman friends north of where we left it when you were here. Also, we are up to 16 tablets this year, two have potential to be crackers, one with possible ink writing on a wax tablet, the other the pen has gone through the wax and inscribed the tablet below in a beautiful script on two sides of the document. All Antonine thus far, so this is great if we can get something off them.

best,

Andy

MBetz
MBetz

August 19th, 2007, 11:37 pm #3

Thanks, Andy. I know its tough to get those volunteers to part with their prize pictures! That's great about the tablets. I can't wait to read the report and see what juicy bits the Romans left behind. Maybe one day there will be a Vindolanda soap opera or tv movie series!
Matt

SacoHarry

August 20th, 2007, 11:12 am #4

Ooh! Antonine tablets? That -is- cool! Am I right that we don't yet completely know what was going on at Hadrian's Wall during the time that the frontier had been moved up to the Antonine Wall? How fantastic if these tablets can shed some light on that!

And more power to whoever gets the task of reading the incised wax tablet. Since those things tend to get reused there might be multiple layers of text cut into it, right? Yikes.

And I'm with Matt. Can't wait to see some pics, hear some stories, see some real life on these pages!

- Harry

David Ingham

August 29th, 2007, 7:43 pm #5

As requested, here are some photos from near the end of the season. You can see why Justin's having a 2 week break from his trench!

David
Picture_1.jpg
Last edited by David Ingham on January 27th, 2009, 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

David Ingham

August 29th, 2007, 7:46 pm #6

I'm looking forward to reading what Justin makes of these ditches in his report.
Picture_2.jpg
Last edited by David Ingham on January 27th, 2009, 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

David Ingham

August 29th, 2007, 7:55 pm #7

The eagle-eyed amongst you might spot the cement mixer in the background - the temples from 2005/6 are now consolidated and ready to withstand the Northumberland weather and next year's school parties. At least Trench B has saved the Trust some money on consolidation this year - just this one small mausoleum.
Picture_3.jpg
Last edited by David Ingham on January 27th, 2009, 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

David Ingham

August 29th, 2007, 7:59 pm #8

So much for Trench B in 2007 - oh well.
Picture_4.jpg
Last edited by David Ingham on January 27th, 2009, 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

MBetz
MBetz

August 31st, 2007, 8:48 pm #9

Thanks, David. Much appreciated. The well in your last picture, where was that within the larger Area B picture? Is it on the west edge near the stone and wire fence?
Thanks
Matt
Last edited by MBetz on January 27th, 2009, 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

brypop
brypop

August 31st, 2007, 9:14 pm #10

Hi David any idea what the diameter of the well is? Oh and hi Matt, how is the American JCB? :D