Sue Munro

March 18th, 2013, 1:32 pm #11

On the two occasions we've been digging at the start of the season we've had some snow, so why change a Northumberland tradition?! ;)

Just think of me on a windswept Iron Age dig on Eday in the Orkneys in August.... :'(

Justin-T

March 18th, 2013, 4:42 pm #12

That dig looks pretty interesting Sue, it would be great if you could give us a report afterwards of how it went.

Here's the BEVARS website, where I found info on the dig. (very inventive name by the way! :D )
Last edited by Justin-T on March 18th, 2013, 4:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

NicC
NicC

March 19th, 2013, 7:14 pm #13

"Windswept"? - in Orkney? Come off it, as an ex-resident I can tell you that it is a=considered a calm day if the wind has not reached gale-force! And Eday is surrouned by all those other, sheltering, islands.

Badger
Badger

May 5th, 2013, 8:55 am #14

I talked Snowglobe into a walking excursion on our off Saturday. South of Hexham there is a difficult to find site called Queen Margaret's Cave. Supposedly after Lancastrian forces were defeated in the Battle of Hexham she and her son the Prince of Wales fled up Dipton Burn. Accosted by robbers the queen was able to shame them into giving her safe shelter in their robbers cave.

Not an easy place to find but we managed after much clamboring about.

Here is Snowglobe doing a creditable Robber imitation:

This may become a WeDigs walk at some future date, but it is not for the faint hearted or to be attempted in wet weather.

Badger

snowglobe

May 15th, 2013, 5:50 pm #15

I hope my fellow digger will return next year, and with that in mind I'm making the roads safer for him.

Badger
Badger

May 15th, 2013, 8:20 pm #16

Hey Pete, keep up the good work.

As it happens I drove past a deadster today near Orleans. My Frau would not let me stop for a photo op. I think she is still a bit steamed over my getting the car (slightly) stuck on a cow path while trying to locate a Gallo-Roman cult site. Hey, I pushed it free.....after she tried without success.

Badger

Badger
Badger

June 5th, 2013, 10:51 am #17

WeDiggers being a well traveled and far flung tribe it is certainly possible that you may wander through eastern France.

If so, don't miss The Shrine of Hercules

Fun stuff, gives an excavator extravagant dreams...

Badger