Katie and I finished our week today with Justin in Area B. We had a total of two days digging over the five days. The first day, Tuesday, was the best day. We found a ceramic gaming counter, some pottery, and the lower section of a Dea Nutrix statuette. We didn't find any other parts so the next group able to dig in the ditch we were just on the top of will hopefully find the rest of the statuette. Today and an hour yesterday is all the time we were able to dig and that was topsoil removal. The next group or two into Area B will have it easy. Right down on archaeology in no time! We spent the days not digging washing pottery and marking the lot that was dry from a previous washing. The weather doesn't look great for next week. Andy's area is underwater and will take at least a day of pumping to get dry, I think. Last week his crew found the northwest turn to the stone fort one wall which is exciting. Now measurements can be made and an idea of the size of the fort in the late Antonine era since the west and south wall limits are now known. To all of you digging the rest of the season: Post what you are doing!!!! Pictures would be great but at the least do a short write up as to how your time went. If no one writes then this will become a very dull site. So WRITE!!
Shame about the wet weather Matt this week. Hope you and Katie enjoy a well-deserved break.