New Digger's Guide section: "Other Area Sites"

SacoHarry

May 7th, 2009, 3:22 pm #1

Hi all. Keeping a promise to expand the Digger's Guide over time with new stuff. Beyond Hadrian's Wall, there's a lot of great nearby sites that many diggers might enjoy taking in. So I've added an "Other Area Sites Worth a Visit" section to the Digger's Guide. And I've just put up the first page -- Crindledykes Lime Kiln. Only a mile or so away from Vindolanda, this is one of the few remaining Industrial Age lime kilns still standing in the region. It's a fun site to check out some lazy evening -- and a nice reminder that Tynedale's history is a many-layered thing.

- Harry

SacoHarry

May 7th, 2009, 11:38 pm #2

Also, someone with more inspiration, -please- help me think of a better heading than "Other Area Sites Worth a Visit." Gak that's bad.

brypop
brypop

May 8th, 2009, 6:28 am #3

But watch out when you are there because Andy has a habit of driving past and giving a blast on his horn to scare you! Tee Hee

Kate 13
Kate 13

May 8th, 2009, 8:22 am #4

SacoHarry wrote:Also, someone with more inspiration, -please- help me think of a better heading than "Other Area Sites Worth a Visit." Gak that's bad.
How about "After the Romans life went on: a guide to post-Roman sites in the old frontier"

or

"Vindolanda Extra - what to see that is definitely not Roman!"

Kate.

SacoHarry

May 15th, 2009, 6:14 pm #5

bobandkate wrote:
SacoHarry wrote:"Vindolanda Extra - what to see that is definitely not Roman!"

Kate.
I almost used that, then I realized there's some frappin' Roman stuff going on the list eventually -- like Bewcastle. If you haven't been, it is -well- worth it. It kinda runs the gamut: irregular Roman fort, Anglian cross, Norman castle, post-medieval church, all amid a working 21st C farm. But it does make it tough to generalize eras!

I like "Vindolanda Extra" though -- that's putting me on the right track.

SacoHarry

June 12th, 2009, 5:06 pm #6

Just added a new feature to the still-un-renamed "Other Area Sites Worth a Visit" section: Black Middens Bastle House. This one's a bit out of the way, but it's about the most authentic, intact bastle house you're going to find in the region -- that you can actually wander around & explore. Anyone who's got an interest in the whole Northumbrian Reiver culture shouldn't miss it. It's fun to visit a site that still evokes something of the old "Wild West" that used to be the Borders.

Happy Friday!