Local Weather?

Badger
Badger

December 9th, 2010, 5:18 pm #1

Here in the Colonies we read alarmist reports of once-in-a-century snow and cold in Britain. The Army has been called out to aid in snow removal. (Although the photos I saw all showed the troops smiling, mostly not wearing gloves or even in some instances jackets!).

So, locals, what's it like on the ground?

T.Wolter

BeverlyJ

December 10th, 2010, 2:55 pm #2

This colonist (who should be working I might add) just looked up the Hexham Courant online. Looks like lots of snow problems. But yes - I would be curious to hear from the locals about the snow situation. Some pics would be great too. :D I'm only thankful that there isn't any snow here in Missouri - yet.

HelenG
HelenG

December 10th, 2010, 8:25 pm #3

For want of any more local replies, I can report that the chap who is tiling my Mum's next-door-neighbour's bathroom says that his sister lives near Hexham, and the snow was thigh-deep there at the end of November/beginning of December. I'd love to see some pictures but I think the people who live in those parts have too much else to think about.

Even at my parents' house in Cleethorpes (East coast, halfway between Newcastle and that square shaped indentation called The Wash) there was more snow than I ever remember (10"). Not much by US standards I'm sure, but we considered ourselves "snowed in" and I didn't dare attempt to return to my own home in Nottingham (bang in the middle of England) until Sunday 3rd. The snow has almost all melted here now though.

Incidentally, that same tiler, when he last visited his sister, said that he happenend to be driving past Vindolanda when he saw a hedge on fire and stopped to extinguish it, so perhaps we should give him a big Thankyou.

Helen

SacoHarry

December 12th, 2010, 5:24 pm #4

For folks with FaceBook acconts, the Twice Brewed Inn recently joined FB. A week or so ago they posted pics from the car park. Winter wonderland! Utterly buried in snow. I'll see if I can find a public link to their pics.

SacoHarry

December 12th, 2010, 5:27 pm #5

And don't forget, in the Digger's Guide there's the "How's the Weather?" section that has links to local live Web cams, including 2 (3 when the third is actually working) from sites on Hadrian's Wall close to Vindolanda

georgina

December 12th, 2010, 7:20 pm #6

I found that site yesterday but dumbly dont know what to do to download the plugins to see view from camera, can u adv pls :-/

SacoHarry

December 13th, 2010, 2:05 am #7

I just tried to go through the steps again. But since I've already installed them on my screen I can't see what the installation looks like. Usually it's pretty straightforward. Try visiting the Northumberland Natl Parks site directly: http://www.northumberlandnationalpark.o ... ebcams.htm - if you can get the plugin to install from there, then it should work when you access the images through WeDig.

Let me know whether that works. If not, I'll keep thinking.

Also, it looks like the feed from Newcastle is down, I'll check on that to see if it's a WeDig problem, or a problem at the source.

georgina

December 13th, 2010, 8:44 am #8

can u pls adv Harry, which is the closest to Vindolanda from the northumberland photo site

SacoHarry

December 13th, 2010, 7:12 pm #9

Winshields Crags is the closest, about 2.5 miles west from Vindolanda. Cawfields is also quite close, at only another mile or so west of Winshields.

georgina

December 13th, 2010, 7:38 pm #10

cheers harry! would have been OK if I had remembered the 13 hour time difference too!