Let the fun begin!

SacoHarry

1:27 AM - Apr 04, 2011 #1

It's showtime! Here's hoping for great weather, great crews, great fun, and some great archaeology. All WeDig'ers, any thoughts/pics you have of the opening week, please send them. Either a post here, or even a quick one-line text/email to text_style@hotmail.com if that's all you have a chance for.

Happy digging!

Terry S
Terry S

8:52 PM - Apr 04, 2011 #2

Wet and windy start for day one. Operations commenced with an introductory 30 minute introduction by Kevin. Followed by a trip around the new, very impressive museum. A short break for tea (naturally), then out into Northumberland's finest April weather. No stoppages! Typically, as we were finishing at 4.30, the sun and blue sky came out.
Twenty six excavators, split into 5 teams of 5 (one had 6) and each allocated an area to do the business.
No spoil heap initially (gasp), but a pimple north of the North gate is now growing.
Rain is forecast tomorrow morning and then fine for the rest of the week. Halleluja!
Photos will probably follow at some point.

Terry S

Badger
Badger

12:32 AM - Apr 06, 2011 #3

I had imagined that the next phase would be digging through the floors of 5th c. buildings to see what lies beneath....or is there some other approach?

T Wolter

Terry S
Terry S

8:22 PM - Apr 06, 2011 #4

Day 3 : Tim - I think that is the ultimate aim - early days yet. I'm not au fait with what the other teams are doing, but our team are in the process of chasing a very long barrack wall northwards and getting closer to the North Gate. We've also removed soil to the depth of about 5 inches and are down to small cobbles in places. No significant finds, mainly 3rd century pottery.
Overnight rain left the site a wee bit soggy, so we all decamped to Carvoran at 9.30 (inspecting new museum and the 3D movie - not to be missed!). Early lunch and finally started excavations at 12.45. Teams are rotating pottery washing and surveying, each lasting a good hour. The pottery being washed is from the 2009, 2010 and current excavations.
The weather was much improved this afternoon, though a tad windy. Good forecast for the next two days!
Tomorrow night is the "get together" buffet night commencing at 18.30. This will be in the new Hedley Building and will be a regular Thursday night attraction.

SacoHarry

10:25 PM - Apr 06, 2011 #5

Great notes! I really like the sound of the Thursday night buffets too, nice touch.

Are you just to the right (east) of the flagstone-paved north-south road that leads from the HQ out to the North Gate? (Trying to visualize so I can update the plan.) I think I remember that the beginnings of the barrack wall was found there late last year.

2:41 PM - Apr 07, 2011 #6

There can't be much pottery left to wash from 2010 - I (and others) washed most of it and there wasn't a back-log when we left on the last day of the excavation <g>

A lot of Floatation bags were waiting for somebody to deal with...... have fun! Phew! Smelly!

Malise

Terry S
Terry S

9:12 PM - Apr 07, 2011 #7

Harry - we are just about north of the flags, with a twitch to the north east. I took some pix today and when I suss out the procedure, I'll post a few.
Malise - there was a just a small amount from earlier years.
The buffet meal went off fine with lots of intermingling and tasty morsels. It actually started at 1800 and was due to finish about 2000 hrs. I didn't stay to the bitter end as I faced a trip of 43.4 miles back home to Durham.

Hadriana

12:16 PM - Apr 11, 2011 #8

Great week! Really enjoyed meeting people - some new hands and some "old". I could easily get addicted to this stuff! Very good introduction to excavating...hands on digging, pot washing, surveying. More please. :)
Last edited by Hadriana on 4:34 PM - Apr 11, 2011, edited 1 time in total.

Hadriana

12:18 PM - Apr 11, 2011 #9

Terry - Great to chat to you about Binchester and Piercebridge. If you follow the Hadriana links www. hadrianastreasures.com there's an e-mail there for me. (It's Catherine of Four Wynds BTW.) I'll look up your suggestion of the Raymond Selkirk book - sounds fascinating.

Harry - I'll e-mail you the photos of the week. Hope you are well!

Hadriana

12:22 PM - Apr 11, 2011 #10

P.S.: Got the chance to dig out a hearth - front of barracks area. All great stuff.