Terry S
Terry S

April 11th, 2011, 8:41 pm #11

Hadriana - sorry I didn't bring the book in - a combination of not knowing where I had filed it and letting it slip my mind. Two books by Raymond Selkirk I would hereto recommend; The Piercebridge Formula (1983, revisions 1995) and On the trail of the Legions (1995). Both very easy to read, great photos (largely Northumberland and Durham). Ray knew his engineering stuff and utilised this knowledge to formulate his theories. Regrettably, he died a few years back. Walking with him was always a joy as he was an inexhaustable fund of anecdotes and fascinating facts. Lots of Roman roads were explored and suspected unknown fort/fortlets investigated. Enjoy!

roymarsden

April 11th, 2011, 9:43 pm #12

I had a really good week last week. Thank you to the professionals and the volunteers for a really enjoyable week. My photos are on flickr....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/roymarsden ... 341995971/

Badger
Badger

April 12th, 2011, 2:02 pm #13

Regards that wall just to the east of the main road..

A year ago as we uncovered the road we saw a lot of this feature, and it was a vexing puzzle. In general it looked as if a substantial wall had fallen onto the road. Since small finds were few and very worn this suggested a long disused structure collapsing in the post Roman era. But in places it sure looked as if something had been built on top of the road.

Most likely these were "pseudo features", rocks that fall in a rough circle can look like supports for timbers, and a tier that falls over in formation could resemble a threshhold.

Did this become any less confusing? Since the road pavers looked to be more robbed out as you go north I imagine the answer is no.

And was there ever a gutter between the road and the wall? Lack decent drains on the most important road in the place struck me as most peculiar....

Tim Wolter

Hadriana

April 12th, 2011, 7:25 pm #14

Many thanks, Terry, for your comments and book recommendations. Will definitely look into those.

Tim - Many thanks for your comment over at my blog...look forward to reading more of your blog posts.

SacoHarry

April 12th, 2011, 9:20 pm #15

Terry S has posted a collection of Week 1 shots here. (They've helped me flesh out the Area of Excavations Wk 1 post.) Below are the low-res mid-sized shots from the album, with captions.

"Team Centurion" in front of, to the south of, the North gate. Justin was standing on one of the large flags.

In the foreground, two Picts who made it over Hadrian's Wall. Val and Ed will probably come back next year.

Just when you want to relax and have a much deserved cup of tea/coffee, a form to fill in.
Looks like it was all too much for the chap at bottom left.

Looking west. Large flagstones off picture to the left. Short journey to the spoilheap through the North gate. Hallelujah!

Geordie bottom with two Scottish frontages. Ground initially wet, but dried up nicely with the prevailing wind. Not too many finds all week - two nice bits of thick amphora handle and bits and pieces of pottery.
Last edited by SacoHarry on April 17th, 2011, 1:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SacoHarry

April 12th, 2011, 9:25 pm #16

More from Terry S here:

To the right of the flags, the barrack wall of Stone Fort 2. This continued past the excavators and then possibly turning to the east.

Earlier barrack wall of Stone Fort 1 looking south.

West of the North gate, in the Temple area (looking north). The wet conditions never got worse than those shown and radically improved throughout the week.

Forms (only one sheet this time folks!) nearly completed. Supervisor Kevin hovering.

Our refugee from the vicus. He fitted in well. He's happy because he has a red tee shirt and the rest of us haven't. Team Centurion pretending to work whilst he's there.
Last edited by SacoHarry on April 17th, 2011, 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SacoHarry

April 12th, 2011, 9:29 pm #17

And the last batch from Terry S. Great shots, thx much for sharing!!

"I think you need to press the red button Andy."
"Where is it Justin?"

Weather much improved - it got better as the week went on. The Via Decumana is probably under the diggers, not too far down.

John, at left, clearing possible robbed out foundations of a wall.

Looking north. Stone Fort 2 barrack wall still heading north, but expected to turn right about two feet further on. Week 2 should have cracked it by now.

No more dirty finger nails for a while! 80% of Team Centurion, at the end. Apparently, we weren't too far from a Centurion's quarters.
Last edited by SacoHarry on April 17th, 2011, 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SacoHarry

April 13th, 2011, 7:42 pm #18

Oops, the original link to Terry & Pauline's Canon album didn't work. This one should!

SacoHarry

April 17th, 2011, 1:21 pm #19

Canon Photo Album links not playing nicely. Captured the mid-sized pics and placed them into WeDig Admin section, they should show up & behave now!

Terry S
Terry S

April 17th, 2011, 7:57 pm #20

Harry - nice to see them back home! Thanks.