ericjacobson

10:03 PM - Mar 03, 2010 #11

SacoHarry wrote:Ha! Classic. The moral: never trust an auxiliary unit.

And I don't doubt that the IV Gauls were there in the 3rd and well into the 4th C. I'm just wondering if they were augmented at some point by irregulars for some reason or other. Apparently there's evidence of this at Wallsend -- regular barracks and then, tucked in a corner, oddly shaped barracks that wouldn't suit an entire cohort. Back to that theme that, more & more, forts appear to be pretty messy places.
Ah, now I understand.

Dunno if any such irregulars (numeri, cunei, etc) were posted to Vindolanda. So far as I'm aware there's no epigraphic evidence (anyone please jump in if you have such) to show that an additional unit was posted to Vindolanda during the 3rd or 4th centuries, but that's neither here nor there.

SacoHarry

12:51 PM - Sep 14, 2010 #12

A neat aside I just learned about -- has anyone else heard about the Crosby Garrett (Cumbria) Roman helmet discovered by a metal detectorist in May? This piece is astounding! And (according to Wikipedia anyway), the image appears to be that of "a beardless Jupiter Dolichenus." Apparently it didn't need to be declared treasure since it was non-precious metal. So Christie's is planning to auction it, and Tullie House in Carlisle is trying hard to raise enough money to buy & save it for the country.

Justin-T

1:53 PM - Sep 14, 2010 #13

Amazing piece. There's a good BBC news report to see it in superb detail with an expert describing it here:

BBC report on the helmet

BeverlyJ

7:35 PM - Sep 14, 2010 #14

Wow - thanks for sharing. That is one amazing helmet. I hope that Tullie House can get it, so I can see it next year B)

I can't begin to imagine what it must be like to find something like that. I would probably have to be sedated.

10:24 AM - Sep 15, 2010 #15

Hi,
I called Tullie House yesterday to make a donation, as Twitter and FB messages are going round informing us that Tullie House has formally launched an appeal for funds to buy the helmet.

Here's a link with some more info about the appeal http://www.tulliehouse.co.uk/roman-helmet-appeal-0. It'd be great if people on here were able to donate a little to help keep it in the country, but even just passing the message around helps to get more people involved.

TTFN
Mooseandhobbes

Andy
Andy

6:18 PM - Sep 16, 2010 #16

By the by,

That Griffin of Justin's from earlier in the season, the one discussed on the Dig For Britain TV show looks awfully like the Griffin on the helmet. Numerous people have pointed this out, not least Justin himself. Perhaps something similar was about the place at Vindo.

best,

Andy

Andy
Andy

6:39 PM - Sep 16, 2010 #17

Oh, and a last Jupiter Dolichenus thought,

The Vindolanda temple will be published in this years AA. So those who have access to it should get it before Christmas.

best,

Andy

SacoHarry

7:49 PM - Sep 16, 2010 #18

Andy wrote:Oh, and a last Jupiter Dolichenus thought,
The Vindolanda temple will be published in this years AA. So those who have access to it should get it before Christmas.
best,
Andy
Looks like I've got to get me an Arch Ael subscription! Thx for the heads-up.

SacoHarry

4:06 PM - Oct 07, 2010 #19

The Cumbrian helmet sold for 2.3 million pounds: http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKTRE69 ... mesticNews. No word on who the buyer was. But it's hard to picture a local heritage body being able to come up with that price to retain it.

Edit: This article shows that Tullie House had managed to stay in the running all the way up to 1.7 million pounds, a sign of how much the people wanted it to stay put! Will be interesting to see where it goes from here.
Last edited by SacoHarry on 4:10 PM - Oct 07, 2010, edited 1 time in total.