Claire_M

November 5th, 2013, 8:57 am #21

Adding to what Sunny said:

There are 224 members on the Ning network; all of these are people who have done the TDP training and who are encouraged to take part and organise activities under the TDP. Over 400 people have done the TDP training, not all of them are on Ning or still involved with TDP.

Behind the log-in wall, there are

- TPD-produced documents eg, a Monitoring guide 'How to', information about the different evidence types you might find when monitoring, some documents about the terms used and definitions. All practical stuff that will help you when you are working and recording.

- As well as the forums, there is a 'blog' where members can post things they think of interest to a significant number of FROGs. (eg I've just put something up about an upcoming exhibition of paintings about the Thames.).

- a gallery of pictures taken during FROG activities.

- 'TDP News' a place for TDP staff to post info

- Events calendar (which any FROG can add to) is a mix of social stuff, monitoring visits (as FROGs set these up) and things such as relevant documentaries, lectures can go here (though you might also want to promote these on the blog).

The thing with the TDP is that its members, like diggers, have a variety of interests relating to the work done under the programme, which can be anything from family history to art to reception. The NING which, as Sunny says, has taken a bit to get going, offers a space for this and keeps the TDP in the loop with what we're doing and gives them some control over it.

Last edited by Claire_M on November 5th, 2013, 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

November 5th, 2013, 9:40 am #22

^^ what she said, plus it is also linked in to a number of people's Facebook and Twitter feeds, so people who aren't on either of those can get to see at least some of the FB/Twitter activity.

Claire_M

November 5th, 2013, 12:16 pm #23

The TDP approach additionally means I feel I can blog about it. For example, I checked in with TDP before this blog post: http://thewordmuses.wordpress.com/2013/06/09/417.

I also wrote the piece in the November edition local paper (under Helens's name - she's the FROG who runs the Greenwich group) and cleared it with TDP before it went to print.

http://www.thegreenwichvisitor.com

Very much depends what Vindolanda want to do but, for what it's worth, I do think some social comms would be good.
Last edited by Claire_M on November 5th, 2013, 12:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

November 5th, 2013, 6:41 pm #24

The difference though, is that TDP actively encourages its volunteers to take ownership of outreach activities,whereas the Vindolanda Trust doesn't.

Personal blogs are entirely up to individuals, but a group blog, like the Fawkes Hall of Thames blog and the piece in the Greenwich Visitor, actually represent TDP activities. TDP is fine about that (delighted actually), would VT be?
Last edited by mooseandhobbes on November 5th, 2013, 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Claire_M

November 5th, 2013, 7:03 pm #25

That is a very good question. It depends in part how VT wants to be perceived, not only by us diggers, but the outside world. One for their comms people really. There's probably something in the T&Cs about not personal blogging etc if you're digging, I've not looked as I suspect it would be discouraged and have no wish to be at odds.

With TDP I prefer to check with them, so that we're all working from the same page and can get some good publicity for the TDP.

Some thoughts anyway. I'm fairly pro pro-active/community type comms, but am well aware of the risks in doing - and not doing - it simply as comms has been my day job for a fair few years.
Last edited by Claire_M on November 5th, 2013, 7:16 pm, edited 6 times in total.

JaneC
JaneC

November 14th, 2013, 11:41 am #26

I will echo the thanks to the administrators of WeDig, and will be sorry to see its demise. I cannot offer anything on the technical front, I am until now an FB refusenik, but would like to see the forum continue in some form and would happily support it.

As we are now pinned into the two-week format, this has to be my main holiday of the year; the personal observations, discussion and interesting diversions add value for much longer.