Hardknott roman fort

snowglobe

August 23rd, 2013, 3:25 pm #1

I found myself working in Eskdale this month (a tough job but someone had to do it!) so visited Hardknott roman fort, such a dramatic location high above the valley floor and well worth a visit

A view of the NE corner tower, no lower doorway so possibly entered from the rampart. England's highest peaks Scafell & Scafell pike behind

The east gate with pivot hole in stone

The bath house

Looking east with Harter fell in the background, the fort and parade ground. The work to clear this area must have been hard work

Watch for the carnivorous Sundew (Drosera) plants growing in the fort ditch

Any diggers passing through the lakes feel free to get in touch I'm always up for a hike.
Last edited by snowglobe on August 23rd, 2013, 3:43 pm, edited 7 times in total.

August 24th, 2013, 10:01 pm #2

Hardknott was the backdrop for a Carry On film - "Carry on up the Khyber", with Sid James and all the rest. The road up to it was pretty bad in the 1960's and probably wasn't much fun for the film crew and cast.
Our history teacher had a very keen interest in that place and we went on at least 2 School History trips up there....it was a long climb for juvenile legs! Thank goodness for Li'le Ratty (train) at the bottom of the hill. However, he did go up there once too often and suffered a heart attack from which he didn't recover, so do make sure you either go up in your car or are fit enough to do the walk. (the little train is well worth the ride).

Yes, and we did Vindolanda too, only there wasn't much to see, except for the HQ in the middle of the fort.

Malise

snowglobe

October 1st, 2013, 10:25 am #3

I've been working again down the Eskdale valley and took this image during a cloud free climb of Harter fell. The parade ground is top right and the bath house centre right by the road.

Samian pot rim found in a stream bed below the fort, thanks to Stuart Noon from the portable antiquities scheme for recording the find.

Last edited by snowglobe on October 1st, 2013, 10:35 am, edited 3 times in total.