Badger
Badger

January 1st, 2012, 6:02 am #21

Regarding that mound.
It was known to be a spoils heap from an earlier era of excavation. No artifacts to be found there at all. It had acquired a few neutral to negative nicknames. The Vindolanda Carbuncle. Meercat Manor.
So Kevin the then volunteer was assigned to excavate it. Carefully. Even though there should not have been, and was not, anything to find.
Well, our boy from North of the Wall labored manfully for an entire week at it. On the last day I came over and asked him to pose in a manor that really expressed his true feelings about the mound.

He unzipped his fly and turned to face it!

Since I can't show you that picture here is his second best effort!
kevin.jpg

snowglobe

January 1st, 2012, 9:45 am #22

I did two days helping Kev on the other end of the mound with help from his Grans lawn edging tool to keep the section straight. That was my first job inside the fort.
Hope you enjoyed the photos?
Two shots of temple Ave from May 2010 and 2011
Temple_ave_2.jpg
Temple_ave.jpg
Kevin_hill.jpg
Last edited by snowglobe on January 1st, 2012, 1:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Andy
Andy

January 1st, 2012, 6:11 pm #23

snowglobe wrote:Seasons greetings, not that long since this section of wall was excavated (2009?) but thought the contrast was interesting. I reckon the trust could do a iphone dig countdown app, sales may be sluggish though! Roman numerals only.
The first photo shows the wall partially stripped down for consolidation, some courses already removed so that they could be secured without the wall falling down. So as shown in the second photo, the wall ended up the same size as it was excavated. If we were going to add something we would have removed that silly gap in the middle of the second photo :-)

best,

Andy

January 1st, 2012, 11:18 pm #24

Badger.... I asked about that mound years ago and Andy's reply was that it was his Grand-dad's spoil heap. So you now know that a bit of Birley Family History got destroyed last year :D

Malise

snowglobe

January 5th, 2012, 1:40 pm #25

Some more 2010 and 2011 before and after.
Vindolanda_dig_2011_011.jpg
Mound_removal.jpg
Last edited by snowglobe on January 5th, 2012, 1:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Brinno
Brinno

January 5th, 2012, 9:16 pm #26

One more of the spoil-heap, carefully being destroyed.
2010_Old_spoil_heap.jpg

Justin-T

January 5th, 2012, 10:27 pm #27

Andy wrote:The first photo shows the wall partially stripped down for consolidation, some courses already removed so that they could be secured without the wall falling down. So as shown in the second photo, the wall ended up the same size as it was excavated. If we were going to add something we would have removed that silly gap in the middle of the second photo :-)

best,

Andy
OK, now I get it, I had understood from "collapsed wall" that this had collapsed in antiquity, rather than during the excavation.

193 days until I dig again. Not that I'm counting or anything.

snowglobe

January 6th, 2012, 8:49 am #28

The fallen section of wall left in situ collapsed during the lifetime of the stone fort. There is a good description in Robin Birleys excellent "Vindolanda" book. The wall was rebuilt by the Romans without reusing the fallen section.

Mike C
Mike C

January 6th, 2012, 1:06 pm #29

Said it at the time when Kevin removed the mound, but it broke my heart to see it go. By standing on the top, it was the only place I could get a phone signal & keep the ladies at home happy so they'd let me off the leed for a couple of weeks! After long research (walking around with phone in hand) I found another not so good spot, I didn't let on as I thought Andy & Kev might remove it!!
Now we're out of the fort & higher up the hill I've not trouble getting a signal.

SacoHarry

January 6th, 2012, 6:07 pm #30

Here's the morning back in June '06 when we got pulled off the outside wall as it was, well, buckling! I guess they figured our heads weren't yet hard enough to withstand the blow. I gave us even odds.

(For reference, this is just a few meters south of the exposed bit of collapsed wall that the Trust left in place and on view.)
06_29_05_Wall_deemed_too_unsafe_sm.jpg
Last edited by SacoHarry on January 6th, 2012, 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.