Forum rules
Share with care! Please keep in mind that this forum is a public venue. Admins and Vindolanda staff reserve the right to edit and/or delete postings that might tempt looters, robbers, and other unsavory sorts.
MBetz
MBetz

June 7th, 2007, 6:37 pm #11

This week only Area B is working as Andy is vacationing with his family. Since starting on Tuesday some gaming counters and two leather shoe soles have been the finds to talk about. One of the soles was found right on cue during one of Justin's "talks" when he was describing the leather and shoe finds from the site over the years. Uncanny, that. The gaming counters are glass and shale and we have dubbed that section of trench "the Las Vegas of Vindolanda". A few other counters were found last week and included at least one made of pottery.
The two shoe soles were found within the same patch of trench and one had a few hobnails still attached. That is the first time I have seen that.

The big news for Area B, though, is the topsoil has been removed for the rest of the excavation area compliments of a mechanical digger. It was a wonderful site to see as I know how difficult it is to get through the turf and topsoil to get to the good archaeology below. All of the rest of you volunteers coming to dig in Area B just won't know how lucky you are!
Matt

MBetz
MBetz

June 23rd, 2007, 2:06 pm #12

The week of June 12-16 for Area B was a quagmire to be polite! Just two days of digging was had and one of those was topsoil removal. Plenty of backlogged pottery was washed and marked for deposit at the lab. The rain never really seem to let up from Wednesday through the weekend. Katie and I left on Sunday the 17th for Holy Island and the coast had good weather with a bit of sun peeking through. I know this past week Area A was able to dig most everyday. Anyone continuing to excavate the Antonine era stone fort 1 wall please post updates on your finds and pics as to what the archaeology looks like. Now that I am home I am already wanting to get back and dig some more! Being a human JCB is good for the weight loss!!

The one good day of digging on my last week did turn up a great find. Katie and I foound the lower half of a seated statuette commonly called a Dea Nutrix. The goddess is seated on a wicker chair commonly holding a baby or a cornucopia. Hopefully the upper part will be found in the ditch we were just getting into before the heavens released the flood. The detail of the gown is very sharp and shows little signs of wear.

Andy's area had a rather odd find of some gaffito on stone that looked like an alien. I will try to get a picture up as soon as I can. The grafitto was found this past week which ended for his team Thursday the 21st.

Matt
Andy_s_Team_2.jpg

TonyK
TonyK

July 14th, 2007, 6:22 pm #13

I disapprove of having my knees censored by anyone! They were a model to all and didn't misbehave even once. I think Justin should have the courage to admit to jealousy. And I provided most of the flat caps courtesy of the Northumberland County Show which featured the "Border Stick Dressing Organisation" which made my knees look positively de rigeur.

Tony
07_05_2007_Surprised_in_bumbo_SM.jpg

brypop
brypop

July 16th, 2007, 10:36 pm #14

Hi Tony I didn't mind the knees it was the chest wig which was a bit dodgy especially when the Chinese film crew arrived. :D :lol:

brypop
brypop

July 16th, 2007, 10:40 pm #15

I also must say that the flat caps looked good in the photo. If only we had the luxury of a video camera we could have done a song and dance act.
:lol: