SacoHarry

April 13th, 2012, 12:54 am #21

The Super-Tesco at Hexham usually stocks heavy-duty gardening gloves for a ridiculously low price. If you have transportation there, your knuckles, fingernails, and non-digging B&B breakfast buddies will thank you!

el kevano

April 13th, 2012, 10:01 am #22

well i certainly didnt leave of my own accord!

Andy
Andy

April 13th, 2012, 11:18 am #23

Hey now, the tools are not knackered! A poor workman always blames his tools? no? :-)

Justin
Justin

April 13th, 2012, 1:52 pm #24

A few thoughts about tools.

They obviously take a hammering throughout the course of the season and a general deterioration is bound to take place. The Trust spends a small fortune each year buying and replacing worn out equipment and believe me the gear you're provided with at Vindo is in a heck of a lot better state than a good few digs I've been on and seen.

However I was thinking about this over lunch today and worked some figures out. If we bought a new barrow, spade,shovel, mattock trowel, kneeling mat, hand shovel, bucket and had brush for each of the 25volunteers and divided the cost of the 25 sets of gear by the number of volunteers who join us over the whole season it would equate to approx £10 per person more than you pay now to cover the cost each season.

If there is a general feeling that the tools are in a state, how would this extra cost to your dig fees sit with you all to have new gear each season?

Justin

Last edited by Justin on April 13th, 2012, 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 13th, 2012, 2:09 pm #25

Hi Justin,

This thread started with the question of why some people leave great clods of mud all over their tools and equipment at the end of the day, and your suggestion, whilst understandable in view of some of the twists that the thread has taken, wouldn't address that issue at all.

If everyone just cleans up after themselves, no-one need pick up a clod-filled bucket in the morning AND the tools will probably last a bit longer too.

Simples! ;)

Badger
Badger

April 13th, 2012, 3:22 pm #26

Justin

I think everything is fine except perhaps the trowels. And there you have a lot of personal preference involved.

I was kind of kidding about the tools being conserved from the Antonine era.

Now, if an extra 10 or so quid got me a Vindolanda fleece I would go for it!

I thing the discussion veered off when the issue of taking care of your own tools vs shoddy treatment of the common pool.

Tim Wolter

sarcanon

April 13th, 2012, 4:44 pm #27

I agree with Badger. I have no complaints about the condition of the tools. But then, I was there in mid-May, relatively early in the season. Maybe that had something to do with it.

In any event, I think bringing one's own trowel should be mandatory. They're a lot like toothbrushes. I wouldn't dream of using someone else's. :-)

snowglobe

April 13th, 2012, 4:57 pm #28

Spent a month working with tools provided by the trust last year without any problems. Discussions started at a small scale can escalate. I'm sure the titanic hit the iceberg because the crew were all below decks discussing who didn't do the dishes! A warning from history!
Last edited by snowglobe on April 13th, 2012, 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Justin-T

April 13th, 2012, 5:27 pm #29

Agreed that I haven't experienced issues with the equipment, other than the annoyance of getting a squeaky barrow. I probably did pick up some dirty stuff now and again, but if I did they would soon be dipping right back into the soil so I never worried about it.

I'm willing to bet that Cestrian's house is one of those ones that is always so spic and span that the Queen could show up unannounced and there would be no need for further cleaning before letting her in... B)

SacoHarry

April 13th, 2012, 6:06 pm #30

Enjoying the thread & the discussion. I've definitely had the short-straw luck of picking out knackered trowels and barrows, and the special joy of starting the day with a grimy bucket or gooey-handled trowel from the day before. I do wonder if caring for everything at the end of the day would really extend their life tho. By definition archaeology is use & abuse! Still, it is always nice to take a monent to think of the next day's/week's crews.