Calendar find

brypop
brypop

July 28th, 2008, 10:02 pm #1

At last Kate and I have been given permission to shout out to the world about our greatest ever find which we uncovered on 7/7/2008. Andy told us that the press release went out on friday in the Hexham Courant, and I will post the link to the article in a few minutes, announcing the finding of a fragment of a portable calendar. We were sworn to secrecy and have been struggling to keep mum for all this time.
We would just like to say a big thank you to Andy and Robin and the rest of the team and we are so happy to have found such a unique artifact.

We wanted to be the first to post my picture of the calendar so here it is for those of you who weren't there to witness the dicovery.
The_Calendar.jpg
The_Calendar.jpg
Last edited by brypop on December 23rd, 2008, 3:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kate 13
Kate 13

July 28th, 2008, 10:09 pm #2

Couldn't have said it better myself Bryan - the whole experience of excavating at Vindolanda is special and unique.

Kate :D
Last edited by Kate 13 on December 23rd, 2008, 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brypop
brypop

July 28th, 2008, 10:10 pm #3

Here is the link which I promised so that anyone can look at the article in the Hexham Newspaper

http://www.hexhamcourant.co.uk/1.210333

brypop
brypop

July 28th, 2008, 10:15 pm #4

Kate I hope HJCB leader is not too mad at us. I think you should add a few words about the find and your first impressions when we realised what we had found.
:D :lol:

Kate 13
Kate 13

July 28th, 2008, 10:43 pm #5

brypop wrote: Kate I hope HJCB leader is not too mad at us. I think you should add a few words about the find and your first impressions when we realised what we had found.
:D  :lol:
Oh My God!!! are three words which describe pretty much what I was thinking when we found the calender. It was raining - our sieving of the material from channel B of the eastern 'granary' had been called off due to mud encased hands and the impossibility of the task - and Andy had to find somewhere to put us to keep us quiet!!! And lo and behold, there it was in our new trench. We both saw it at the same time.

The letters TEMBER were immediately legible and I remember thinking it must be SEPTEMBER, and there it was on clearing the dirt off. Talking to Alex helped puzzle the rest out (the K, N, ID and the holes for the dates) and the odd AE which I think refers to the autumn equinox remains for debate.

We all thoroughly enjoyed the wine in the Twicie on the last night of the dig - Sophie, David, Anthea, Rosie, Bryan and me ...

Can't wait to see it in the museum,

Kate ;)
Last edited by Kate 13 on August 4th, 2008, 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

SacoHarry

July 28th, 2008, 11:20 pm #6

Holy smokes!

I'm giddy from 3000 miles away. That is a -seriously- incredible find! First one in Britain, and maybe the Roman world??? Huge congrats!!

I've posted the article in the Courant in the "Vindolanda in the Media" section, thanks tons for that link Bryan. That's a piece of news that deserves to get noticed.

brypop
brypop

July 29th, 2008, 6:15 am #7

Cheers Harry have a drink to celebrate. The two weeks we were digging were just fantastic and with this find I can only say that it was the icing on the cake. I wish I could be up there more often. It certainly is the find of my short excavating career and I will be happy just finding pot and the odd fort wall in the future.

Bryan :rolleyes:

Kate 13
Kate 13

July 29th, 2008, 9:23 am #8

SacoHarry wrote: Holy smokes!

I'm giddy from 3000 miles away. That is a -seriously- incredible find! First one in Britain, and maybe the Roman world??? Huge congrats!!

I've posted the article in the Courant in the "Vindolanda in the Media" section, thanks tons for that link Bryan. That's a piece of news that deserves to get noticed.
Thanks for posting the article Harry. We are chuffed to be able to share the news with everyone at last. Vindolanda has to be the most exciting site to work at in the UK.

Kate ;)

Sue Munro

July 29th, 2008, 9:39 pm #9

What an amazing find!

We're hoping to visit on Thursday, so see if you can find us any more nice things while we're there!

When in the autumn will the calendar go on display so I can come and have look?

brypop
brypop

July 31st, 2008, 10:05 am #10

Thanks for your comments Sue and Harry. Matt our illustrious HJCB team leader is a little quiet so I assume he is tired from all his digging. If anyone can find more it is him and we will be so pleased if he does.
I have been spreading the word in Dorset and my local society are very excited. Perhaps their annual trip next year will take in a visit to the site?

Here are a couple more photographs, firstly a close up and then a photo of me spreading the word at our summer excavation site in the Purbecks. May well tell you about that site in the coming weeks?

Did anyone take a picture of Kate and I holding the calendar? We would be most grateful if they could post it as we cannot remember in the chaos after the find.
The_Calendar2.jpg
Last edited by brypop on December 23rd, 2008, 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.