Black burnished ware pottery

brypop
brypop

4:30 PM - Jan 30, 2007 #1

What is known about the dates etc of the black burnished ware found at Vindolanda? Any info would be gratefully recieved. :D

SacoHarry

4:16 PM - Jan 31, 2007 #2

Guy de la Bedoyere of "Time Team" fame put together a great booklet a few years ago called "Pottery in Roman Britain." (ISBN 0-7478-0469-9, published by Shire Archaeology).

According to him, black-burnished arrived in the North around 120 AD, and lasted up there til around the end of the 3rd Century.

There are two distinct types, BB1 and BB2. BB1 was handmade in the southwest (around Dorset). It came up north as soon as they started building the Wall. BB2 was wheel-thrown, and was made near London. It didn't make it up north until late in the 2nd Century.

The book's a bit fuzzy on whether BB1 or BB2 had dominance along the Wall. It was probably the Roman version of the VHS-Betamax wars!

At any rate, they both start disappearing from the Wall forts by the end of the 3rd C.

- Harry

brypop
brypop

11:41 PM - Jan 31, 2007 #3

Thanks I worked as a volunteer at Bestwall Quarry, near Wareham, in Dorset and there was a large black burnished ware pottery production site there, amongst many other things.
I was hoping that there may be a link with the Vindolanda BBware.
Unfortunayely I did not work on the kiln sites as that area had been finished before I joined the project, however I did find many shards on other areas of the quarry.
Bryan :)

SacoHarry

4:07 AM - Feb 01, 2007 #4

I'm trying to picture the scene when a local West Country tinker & his family suddenly get the military contract for supplying an entire frontier with tens of thousands of pieces of kitchenware. Anybody know the proper Latin for "cha-ching!"?

- Harry

brypop
brypop

10:24 PM - Feb 01, 2007 #5

You might scoff Harry but the pottery has been estimated as producing up to 1,000,000 pots a year.
Where do you think Wedgewood learnt the trade?
:D :lol: :D
Bryan