Area B Team Photos

SacoHarry

March 20th, 2009, 5:22 pm #1

This will hold the "official" weekly team pictures from Justin's area. Special recognition for the dirtiest, most dissheveled, and happiest crews!
Last edited by SacoHarry on July 2nd, 2009, 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Justin
Justin

April 4th, 2009, 4:04 pm #2

Week 1.

What fantastic weather for the first week. T shirt and shorts (I'm honestly not joking) for 4 of the 5 days - fantastic! Great start to the dig too with houses, back yards, continuing roads and some pretty nice finds as well. Thanks for all your hard work everyone, it was a brilliant start to 2009!
Week_1.jpg

Justin
Justin

April 11th, 2009, 4:34 pm #3

Week 2.

Very lucky with the weather, which threatened all week but failed to affect us so whatever god you were pouring libations to had the desired effect. Another great week of digging too, with finely laid (and trowelled) roadways going in all directions, more domestic refuse from the late house and the usual few mysterious features, which will no doubt keep me guessing for a while yet. Many thanks to the week 2 team who battled through various bouts of illness and vehicle problems to put in so much hard work. We made big strides this week and it was down to your efforts, so many thanks!
Week_2.jpg

Justin
Justin

April 25th, 2009, 4:07 pm #4

No week 3 as I was on holiday so....

Week 4.

Blessed by the weather again (although the thunderstorm at 4pm on Sat was something else!!!!!) we had another great week. It look more likely that we have a parade gorund than ever after the famous cobbled surface extended eastward as far as we could trowel. Many thanks for everyone's efforts in cleaning such a difficult surface so meticulously - it looks fab! We also had a sneaky peak underneath some of the cobbles and low and behold we found yeat cobbles!!!!! Cue more cleaning and it looks like a mid 2nd C road way running N-S. Lots of new info about the vicus in just the 5days, great work everyone and thanks once more for your hard work.
Week_4.jpg

Badger
Badger

April 26th, 2009, 2:06 pm #5

I expect to be walking in the door of the Twice Brewed in 36 hours, and standing on those cobbles in 48.
Looks like tough digging!
Hopefully a few things slipped in among the cracks.
Now, why would a civilian community want a parade ground?

T.Wolter MD

ericjacobson

April 27th, 2009, 9:14 am #6

WOW!

Sounds amazing--roads going hither and thither, a parade ground, rubbish heaps. Dang--I still have another two months before I can come down. Speed the day....

Justin
Justin

May 2nd, 2009, 4:15 pm #7

Week 5.

We somehow managed to defy the weather forcasters and had another dry week making good progress in our cobble cleaning efforts. There is a split in the roads with one running NE-SW and the other running E-W across the northern edge of last summer's smithing workshops. One or two other structures starting to emerge too, so a successful week. many thanks to you all, I'm sure you were cleanign cobbles in your sleep at times this last week, but the end result looks fantastic!
Week_5.jpg

MBetz
MBetz

May 4th, 2009, 12:01 am #8

Sure is funny that the cobbled surface (road?) seems to be running through the gap in the modern fence of that is in the background of Week 5 photo. Is that just a bit of photo trickery or does it look like the cobbles are heading through that gap?

Justin
Justin

May 5th, 2009, 3:52 pm #9

:D Yeah the road sure does look like it is going through that gap. It's actually just a coincidence of things happening though. The cobbled road is buried a fair bit deeper than the modern wall, but there is also a farmer's drainage ditch there as well that has caused the dry stone wall to collapse into it as it has subsdied over the years. It is also highly likley that the same modern drainage ditch has also destroyed the Roman road that lies a little beneath :( I have to admit though that it is a handy piece of collapse for pointing out to excavators and visitors where the road is leading.....

Justin
Justin

May 9th, 2009, 3:44 pm #10

Week 6.

What a shower! and no I don't mean the excavators, who were fab, but the one that left pools of water all over the place right at the end of play. More road cleaning this week and one or two roadside gutters starting to emerge as well. Lets hope there are some structures surviving on their edges......
Many thanks to everyone this week for your constant enthusiasm and hard work in what were at times some fairly dire conditions. Maybe not quite so sure about the various site interpretations of maypoles, and dancing soldiers in sequined armour mind, but I hope to see you all again.
Week_6.jpg
Last edited by Justin on May 9th, 2009, 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.