ericjacobson

4:05 PM - May 15, 2009 #11

Sequined armor? Okay, at least one other person must be as crazed as I.

I heard that the weather was going to be 'heavy storms' for Northumberland today (Fri); I do hope it didn't come to pass.

Justin
Justin

3:57 PM - May 16, 2009 #12

Week 7.

My word did we move some volume of earth this week........ ;) A big thank you to Matthew and his extra large trowel that saved us weeks of labour. Many thanks to everyone too for the hard work and stoicism to dig through whatever the Northumbrian weather gods could throw at us - maybe it was all the compo Nigel was providing that kept us all going with the military stiff upper lip! Not the easiest of weeks, but the archaeology was tip top. Less in the way of cobbled surfaces now and more drains walls and floors at last. :D
Week_7.jpg

Justin
Justin

4:11 PM - May 23, 2009 #13

Week 8.

Well I'm sorely tempted to make all sorts of remarks about Tony's leaky bladder, long pipe and fetish for knee pads, but you'd only be disappointed to find it was only a camel-back drinking bag and new slater's pads!!!!! Seriously though, it was another good week with the revelation of a possible ditch system, a Cashmore type 1 brooch, and have we finally, finally got the edge of those cobbles????? Many thanks everyone for all your hard work.
Week_8.jpg

Justin
Justin

4:16 PM - May 30, 2009 #14

Week 9.

Can't remember the last time we lost volunteers to sunstroke, but it happened this week! So Rob, sorry you are missing on the team photo and I hope you are feeling better. Thanks to everyone for a very productive week. Anaerobic conditions making for some smashing finds and features galore coming out. What will that mysterious stone building in the new area turn out to be? Looking at the quality of the masonry I wouldn't bet against something really quite nice. I have to say though that the highlight of the week must have been the albino slug in knee pads, or perhaps the Roman re-enactors playing jazz through the cornicularis - hmm maybe the heat has got to me too........ Many thanks everyone for a great week.
Week_9.jpg

TonyK
TonyK

8:28 PM - Jun 03, 2009 #15

Those who were there will realise that each of the last two weeks has a snide comment aimed at me. Sad really when Justin has so much going for him. :)
After all it was Marcel & I who found the new temple. We'd have found the altar too with more time.

More seriously and with heartfelt feeling after two days at the annual Leadership Conference on my return Justin is still one of the best managers I've ever worked for!

Tony

brypop
brypop

9:26 PM - Jun 04, 2009 #16

Hi Tony sorry I missed the knees and Marcel but you know I would have helped Justin with the jokes. Sounds like you had fun though.
Bryan

Justin
Justin

3:47 PM - Jun 06, 2009 #17

Week 10.

My word, what a week! After weeks of trowelling cobbles we suddenly have potential gateways (actually Tony and Marcel's 'temple'- see previous post), ramparts, roads, ditches and buildings. Well, that's the interpretation based on what we can see so far, but things really took off this week and the next few weeks should be very interesting indeed. A huge thank you to the week 10 crew, even with the worst that Neptune could throw at us we accomplished a great deal this week so thanks for all your hard work.
Week_10.jpg
Last edited by Justin on 3:50 PM - Jun 06, 2009, edited 1 time in total.

ericjacobson

12:17 PM - Jun 08, 2009 #18

Justin wrote:Week 10.

My word, what a week! After weeks of trowelling cobbles we suddenly have potential gateways (actually Tony and Marcel's 'temple'- see previous post), ramparts, roads, ditches and buildings. Well, that's the interpretation based on what we can see so far, but things really took off this week and the next few weeks should be very interesting indeed. A huge thank you to the week 10 crew, even with the worst that Neptune could throw at us we accomplished a great deal this week so thanks for all your hard work.
Such interesting hints! By the time I get there (yes, 'Manky Yankee Week' is fast approaching) I expect to see all sorts of things!

It's good to see David, too!

David Ingham

11:04 PM - Jun 08, 2009 #19

Hi Eric - so glad to hear you'll be joining us soon! I'm sure we can find an appropriate corner of the trench to match your unique abilities.

ericjacobson

7:51 AM - Jun 09, 2009 #20

David Ingham wrote:Hi Eric - so glad to hear you'll be joining us soon! I'm sure we can find an appropriate corner of the trench to match your unique abilities.
I'm ready--I'm simply itching to roll around in a nice, muddy wallow....