Justin
Justin

June 14th, 2008, 6:31 pm #11

Week 12.

The best looking team of 2008 so far???? well the midges thought so anyway! Lucky we had lots of dead grass and two Dutch pyromaniacs to keep them at bay - well relatively speaking anyway.
Week_11.jpg

Justin
Justin

June 23rd, 2008, 9:06 am #12

Week 13.

A week that seemed to have as many professional archaeologists on the dig as volunteers! Lots of exciting finds and great conversation too. Ed once again proved he is as handy with a 7iron as with a trowel and I'm sure John won't be long in training Merry to dig holes and sniff out finds. Week 13 was also the final week for the lads from the University of Leiden. Their 4 week stint seems to have flown by and i'm sure I speak for all who met them when i with them both 'goed geluk met uw studies'

Justin
Justin

July 7th, 2008, 6:39 pm #13

Week 14.

Not quite the quality of a Henning Halck photo, but at least everyone is looking at the camera. :P Thank you very much Eric as well, I'm sorry I didn't get the chance to say goodbye and I hope you managed to sort everything out back in Scotland.

Justin
Justin

July 7th, 2008, 6:42 pm #14

Week 15.

Well we very nearly managed to dodge the rain for the whole week, but when it came - boy did it pelt down! I reckon it will be pumps at the ready this coming Tues! Thank you all for your hard work and I hope the various trips home were ok.
Week_14.jpg

Justin
Justin

July 21st, 2008, 11:10 am #15

Week 16.

With the Wordsworth influence in the trench this week, I feel I should write some verse. However, as the only one I know invloves a rude tale about a woodpecker, perhaps I'd better leave it........... :P Thank you all for your hard work.

Justin
Justin

July 21st, 2008, 11:14 am #16

Week 17.

A group from far flung places this week who came to enjoy the usual Vindolanda deluge in preference to their usual hotter sunny climes. I reckon even Bob from the costa del Blyth is used to better weather than we had this week. So extra special thanks for your perseverance everyone.
Week_16.jpg

Justin
Justin

August 4th, 2008, 9:54 am #17

Week 18.

Summer finally arrived! Thanks to everyone for a great week. Even when the archaeology was steady for a time, Richard and Jack's brotherly banter kept me amused and Sian even broke that finds jinx! Phew :P
Last edited by Justin on August 4th, 2008, 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Justin
Justin

August 4th, 2008, 9:59 am #18

Week 19.

Members of the general public were confused at the trench this week by Roman archaeologists dressed as civil war pikemen talking about getting married in Edwardian costume!!!!! and then they all drove off in a mobile chip van to underwater accommodation! :P It could only be Vindolanda in August.

Seriously though, many thanks to this week's crew. I'm sure you didn't sign up for underwater archaeology but your usual enthusiasm and zest for archaeology was great to see. Hope to see you all again next summer.
Week_18.jpg

Sian
Sian

August 5th, 2008, 4:34 pm #19

Does anybody have any ideas about how to stave of the said finds jinx now that I have got rid of it? Or is that it for another six years...roll on 2014! :D

Justin
Justin

August 19th, 2008, 2:19 pm #20

Week 20.

Another tropical weeek in sunny Northumberland. You can tell it's August by the lightweight summer attire of this weeks's crew!